S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Help Vortech Timing Controller / Map controller

Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Vortech Timing Controller / Map controller

Hi all, I hope someone has SOME insight into my problem.

I just got a Vortech kit (used but off a very reputable guy and the kit was removed by AJ Racing).

Anyways, I just wired up the Timing controller and Map controller under the dash -- huge pain in the you know what.

But the car will NOT start.

It cranks, but it almost seems like it's getting either no fuel or no spark, I'm thinking no fuel because on the very first crank it popped like it had a spark but then just died out.

I can crank ad nauseum and nothing.

I triple / quadrulple / million times checked my wiring and all joints, they are stellar. If I disconnect the timing controller and map and reconnect the wires boom it starts first go everytime.

I thought at first it was because I had no vacuum, on the timing controller, I didn't connect it, so I grabbed a T and grabbed off the fuel regulator and nope same deal.

What could it be?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Ok well... in case anyone else ever has this problem -- I don't know if this is a fix or I got lucky.

After I post I think, well I could disconnect the map controller it is only 2 wires and leave the other 3 or 4 on to eliminate one box at least.

So I go outside and do that. Battery dies and it won't even crank... ugh.

Get my charger out and boost her, nothing.

Plug everything back in, starts right up. reattach timing controller again but not map controller and she starts WOOT!

Out of curiosity I reconnect the map controller and it works now. WTF?

I have no idea why it works now, I connected and reconnected that 10 times, perhaps the car needed to start sans map controller once?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Ok update on this.

If I disconnect the negative battery terminal and reconnect the car will not start -- it really seems like it is not getting fuel as it pops then nothing.

Reconnect it all back to stock, vroom starts up. Shut off, reconnect map and timing controller, vroom starts up. odd -- anyone any insight? No check engine or bad lights or anything.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you wiring the box and map clamp? Are you following the vortech instructions or their diagram. The step by step written directions are incorrect but the wiring diagram picture they give you is. I just followed the diagram to the T and had no problems what so ever. Give that a try.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:21 PM

I followed the diagram about 1500 times. Besides I don't know what the big deal is about the worded directions they are nearly identical except for a type-o on the green / yellow wire and of course them completely forgetting about the yellow/black wire that taps into the blue.

Anyways, yes I followed the directions exactly to a T and it works but only if I start after an ECU start up.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 321 Posts

Sounds like a bad timing controller
Old 05-31-2008, 07:23 PM

Any way I can test the timing controller or find out why it would be bad? I hope not

The timing controller came off a working car (or so I was told) don't know why it would be bad after removal and shipping to me.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

You may try calling Split Second, they make it for Vortech. www.splitsec.com

Thy may have a bench tester for it.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 PM

Yikes apparently Vortech sells these boxes for close to a grand?

If it is foobared, I would just get an e-manage I suppose....

We'll see, it does run fine after that initial start up so I might be jumping the gun a bit. It could be just my super weak ass battery.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I wouldn't bother with a e-manage blue, the timing control sucks.

Quick Reply: Help Vortech Timing Controller / Map controller