S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Help with troubleshooting

Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with troubleshooting

I’m the owner of a non running supercharged AP1 looking for some guidance on next steps. The car is supercharged with a comptech kit and AEM V1 management. The previous owner had apparently driven it until April when the car would not restart and he let it sit and I absolutely trust the previous owner. I performed a compression test with 195 across the board. The car does start with starting fluid every time so I’m focusing on fuel delivery.

Things I have done/checked thanks to help from this forum:
1. Replaced fuel pressure regulator
2. Fuel pump primes and runs while cranking
3. Replaced oem injectors and stock ECU and MAP sensor
4. Added fresh fuel
5. replaced spark plugs

At present I have the stock injectors and MAP sensor in with stock ECU. The blower belt is not mounted. I can still get the car to run with starting fluid. I have the fuel pressure adapter on the way so hopefully I can get numbers by the weekend.

Anything else you guys would recommend checking? Appreciate the help thus far from the forums and I hope to contribute a solution soon.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

I think you are on the right track. The next step would be to check fuel pressure. Are the injectors pulsing?
Old 10-30-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by umair
I think you are on the right track. The next step would be to check fuel pressure. Are the injectors pulsing?
Thanks! With the primitive method of screwdriver to injector I can hear them clicking. I think the fuel pressure readings will hopefully shed some more light on the issue.

I also forgot to mention that with the previous 1000cc injectors and AEM ECU there was a strong smell of fuel. After putting the stock components on I’m not really smelling fuel. Not sure if that means much. The stock injectors are in unknown condition since they were in a box of parts included with the car.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

195 is extremely low. Probably not your starting problem, rather something to worry about next (note, if you used a Harbor Freight compression tester, thats yur problum rite thur! Reads notoriously low, especially at higher pressures).

Instead of throwing parts at it, try troubleshooting it. The starting fluid was an awesome example of this. You know it's fuel delivery. So measure fuel pressure. Remove an injector, but leave it plugged in,see if you can get it to spray into a clear plastic bottle. Visually inspect spray pattern.

Guessing either extremely low fuel pressure or injectors aren't firing.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
195 is extremely low. Probably not your starting problem, rather something to worry about next (note, if you used a Harbor Freight compression tester, thats yur problum rite thur! Reads notoriously low, especially at higher pressures).

Instead of throwing parts at it, try troubleshooting it. The starting fluid was an awesome example of this. You know it's fuel delivery. So measure fuel pressure. Remove an injector, but leave it plugged in,see if you can get it to spray into a clear plastic bottle. Visually inspect spray pattern.

Guessing either extremely low fuel pressure or injectors aren't firing.
Agreed. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced thinking this was a quick fix but I’m trying to be methodological now. Aside from flow the injectors clicking would signal that they are getting a signal, right? Hope to have fuel pressure readings this weekend. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

As long as the compression numbers are consistent he should be good.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:17 PM

Looking through the forums I can’t seem to find a consensus on items needed to measure fuel pressure. I got the adapter from Honda but am having trouble finding a gauge to fit into the other end. Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Go to Autozone, rent fuel pressure gauge.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Go to Autozone, rent fuel pressure gauge.
Tried that earlier, unfortunately none of the fittings would work with the Honda adapter which I believe is 1/16th. I think I found a gauge online that will work.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I would take the rail off and tap it. Install a permanent rail gauge so you can check things easily in the future.

Quick Reply: Help with troubleshooting