S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

HELP im scared of fuel wash!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP im scared of fuel wash!

I have been driving my car on the highway for about 3 days now (im driving across canada) and I was hoping you could answer me a question.

I have been keeping the car out of boost as per my tuners recommendation (he tells me its safe to run the car in vaccume but the tune is still incomplete for boost), but I have noticed that the AF gauge has been moving between about 13.8:1 and 16.5:1 and back on intervals of about 5 seconds from one end to the other. This is during highway driving under consistent light load (cruising).

I have noticed that the oil in the car smells strongly of gas and I am concerned that the car is running rich causing a lot of gasoline to get in the blow-by gasses (fuel wash down).... also the valvetrain seems to be making more noise than normal (although this could be purely my paranoia)

I have changed the oil several times just to be safe (about once per day), but I am still quite concerned.

Also on another note: each time when I changed the oil the check engine light came on shortly thereafter. This also happens when I let the car just sit and idle for more then a minute. After i shut the car off for a few minutes (10-20) and then turn the ignition on the 'need service' indicator flashes a few times and the check engine light isnt on anymore...

when i asked the mechanic what the car was doing in one of these instances he plugged the OBD2 diagnostic tool (he connected it as a honda s2000, not an RSX I donno if that was wrong seeing as how the hondata is based on an RSX ecu) and told me the following codes were thrown:
cylinder 3 and 5?? were misfiring
the airpump was not functional
2 of the o2 sensors werent reading correctly

Is this a tune issue, a bad couple of stock 02 sensors, or something else???

The set-up on my 2002: inline pro stage 1, hondata kpro, straight exhaust (no cat), PLX wideband

Thanks SO much,
Jeff
Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 AM

" I have noticed that the AF gauge has been moving between about 13.8:1 and 16.5:1
I have noticed that the oil in the car smells strongly of gas and I am concerned that the car is running rich causing a lot of gasoline"

13:8:1 & 16:5:1 is lean not rich
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Japmuscle
I have been driving my car on the highway for about 3 days now (im driving across canada) and I was hoping you could answer me a question.

I have been keeping the car out of boost as per my tuners recommendation (he tells me its safe to run the car in vaccume but the tune is still incomplete for boost), but I have noticed that the AF gauge has been moving between about 13.8:1 and 16.5:1 and back on intervals of about 5 seconds from one end to the other. This is during highway driving under consistent light load (cruising).

I have noticed that the oil in the car smells strongly of gas and I am concerned that the car is running rich causing a lot of gasoline to get in the blow-by gasses (fuel wash down).... also the valvetrain seems to be making more noise than normal (although this could be purely my paranoia)

I have changed the oil several times just to be safe (about once per day), but I am still quite concerned.

Also on another note: each time when I changed the oil the check engine light came on shortly thereafter. This also happens when I let the car just sit and idle for more then a minute. After i shut the car off for a few minutes (10-20) and then turn the ignition on the 'need service' indicator flashes a few times and the check engine light isnt on anymore...

when i asked the mechanic what the car was doing in one of these instances he plugged the OBD2 diagnostic tool (he connected it as a honda s2000, not an RSX I donno if that was wrong seeing as how the hondata is based on an RSX ecu) and told me the following codes were thrown:
cylinder 3 and 5?? were misfiring
the airpump was not functional
2 of the o2 sensors werent reading correctly

Is this a tune issue, a bad couple of stock 02 sensors, or something else???

The set-up on my 2002: inline pro stage 1, hondata kpro, straight exhaust (no cat), PLX wideband

Thanks SO much,
Jeff

Why are you driving an untuned car?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 PM

park your car. dont drive it. get it tuned. ASAP.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

13.8 -16.5 is not going to give you fuel wash, too lean for that. However this is based on the accuracy of your wideband, and PLX have been known to malfunction, any wideband will if the sensor is bad. If the OEM sensors are bad, then that could cause all kinds of miss fueling issues. Sounds like you have a few things to get to the bottom of before you get it tuned. Stop driving the car.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 AM

You are likely not going to hurt anything at those afrs under light load. You will for sure not wash out the rings.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

15.5 - 16.5:1 is exactly what you want your cruising AF to be when turbo
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM

thx for the info guys... I spoke with jeff evans and Tom at inline pro and both reassured me that the car was ok before finishing my long road trip.

the cars tune is good for drivability just under boost jeff evans said I should go through a few more revisions before i was good to rape the car.

I spoke with a couple of expert mechanics here and jeff evans again and the issue is the promary OEM o2 sensor seems to be getting 'lazy' (making readings every couple seconds instead of a bunch of time per second) so I just need to get that replaced, and Im good to go hopefully...

also I was taking the readings from my wideband PLX gauge, but the car doesnt run off of that reading under partial throttle