S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Help on 30A 12V Fuel Pump Relay

Old 03-27-2010 | 11:16 AM

Default Help on 30A 12V Fuel Pump Relay

I recently installed a Walboro fuel pump and it whines. I did a search and it led me to this thread which gives the solution to stopping the noise.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=142&t=432032

I bought the relay and the thicker wire to run from the battery. My problem is that I can't visualize how to set this up.

Please feel free to edit the pictures to make the correct connections.

Thanks in advance for the help and hopefully this will help others with this fix.

Here's the schematic on the outside of the relay:

Here's the connections:

I'm using 8 gauge wire (looks like the wire used to send power to a subwoofer from an amp) to get power from the battery. If this is wrong please let me know.

Anyway, I will update this as I make progress and get more info.

Thanks,

Brax_1
Old 03-28-2010 | 12:12 AM

If 30 is going to your battery, then 87 should go to the fuel pump power wire. Cut the fuel pump power wire and attach the pump side of that wire to terminal 87.

Attach the vehicle side of that pump wire you cut to either 86 or 85. Attach whichever terminal you didn't use (86 or 85) to a good ground.

I believe the fuel pump power wire is either red/yellow or yellow/red.

87a won't be used.
Old 03-28-2010 | 07:58 AM

Interested in this, please let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
J
Old 03-28-2010 | 09:54 AM

Like this. Make sure to use a fuse between the fuel pump and the battery.

Old 03-28-2010 | 12:12 PM

Thanks guys! That's what I needed. I'm replacing my top and figured it'd be a good time to do the pump also.
Old 03-28-2010 | 06:50 PM

What size fuse should you use?
Old 03-28-2010 | 07:59 PM
20 Year Member

I'm using a 60a fuse at the battery with my 8 ga wire but I'm running dual 30a relays and dual walbro pumps.
Old 03-29-2010 | 12:56 AM

Would a 30A fuse work for a single relay setup? Also, I was wondering about a breaker instead of a fuse. Would that work?

I hooked up my relay yesterday (except for power), and wanted to see if I did this correctly.

I made sure the connectors were correctly and solidly connected to the relay. I then wrapped each connection with electrical tape as a precaution. I grounded the relay to where the factory wires are grounded. I just need to drill a hole to get to the battery, and buy a fuse. I'm going to hook it to the battery using a ring connector on the bolt that tightens to the battery post.

Here's a pic of what I've done so far. It's not pretty. If you see something wrong please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010 | 08:51 AM
15 Year Member

A single Walbro draws less than 15A @ full load, so 20A - 30A fuse would be good enough. Make sure the fuse is located no more than 12" from the battery post. You want power to be interrupted as close to the battery in case of a short. That goes for any direct connection to the battery.

You shouldn't need to drill a hole to get to the battery. There are holes in the firewall you can use. There's one right behind the battery with a rubber boot. Take the battery out and use a coat-hanger wire to guide and pull your pump wire thru. Route the wire under the side panel and under the door sill plastic on the passenger side, then you can use the coat hanger method to pull it thru the trunk behind the spare wheel there's a hole that gives you access into the cabin. Use the convoluted plastic wire loom wrap on the wire through the hole from the trunk to protect the wire.

Also, try using shrink wrap to cover your connections, much better than electric tape and it won't unwrap over time.
Old 03-29-2010 | 09:05 AM

Good advice..it's what I ended up doing.

Not to de-rail this thread, but what size fuse would one use when relocating the battery in the trunk? The power wire from the batt to the front of the car.

Mine 2ga I believe.

Quick Reply: Help on 30A 12V Fuel Pump Relay