S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Heatsoaked SC aftercooler

Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

*To big of a water pump will NOT allow the water enough time in the heat exchanger to.....well exchange heat. (like a thermostat in a car). So go bigger on the pump, but not to big to were the water is rushing through the heat exchanger (radiator).

I've heard this argument before and initially it sounds reasonable, but I'm not so sure after it thinking about it more.

In this instance we argue if a unit volume of water is flowing to fast, it wont have sufficient time to exchange it's heat energy with the outside. However, that unit volume of water is also moving fast through the blower's heat exchanger and will have less heat transfered to it as well. So it will have less heat it will have to transfer to outside and doesn't need as much time to transfer that heat.

Now if our unit volume of water is picking up less heat per unit time aren't the intake temps going to increase because less heat is being transferred to our volume of water? I'd argue no because behind our unit volume of fast moving water is another unit volume of water ready to absorb heat and another behind that and so on.

So if we take a snapshot of two systems; one with a significantly higher flow, I'd argue we'd see the unit volume of water in the lower flow system picking up more heat in the blower's aftercooler than the higher flow system. This in turn puts more demand on the performance of the outside exchanger to dump more heat off the unit volume of water. Here one can argue since one is moving slower it has more time to dump that extra heat and thus there is no advantage to a higher flow. While it is true more time equals more time to remove heat water doesn't like dumping heat so less heat absorbed per volume is going to make it easier on the system to dump it. As long as the outside exchanger is sized such that it can remove X amount of heat energy that is adequate for the blower, asking it to remove less will result in lower temps.

Not sure if that sounded right and sorry for the long winded post.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

I get what your saying. You didn't confuse me

All I know is that a pump that flows 3 gallons per hour without being able to build any pressure is no good to me, so I'm replacing it It should be here on Saturday.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruthaboost,Jun 2 2010, 05:13 PM
*To big of a water pump will NOT allow the water enough time in the heat exchanger to.....well exchange heat. (like a thermostat in a car). So go bigger on the pump, but not to big to were the water is rushing through the heat exchanger (radiator).

I've heard this argument before and initially it sounds reasonable, but I'm not so sure after it thinking about it more.

In this instance we argue if a unit volume of water is flowing to fast, it wont have sufficient time to exchange it's heat energy with the outside. However, that unit volume of water is also moving fast through the blower's heat exchanger and will have less heat transfered to it as well. So it will have less heat it will have to transfer to outside and doesn't need as much time to transfer that heat.

Now if our unit volume of water is picking up less heat per unit time aren't the intake temps going to increase because less heat is being transferred to our volume of water? I'd argue no because behind our unit volume of fast moving water is another unit volume of water ready to absorb heat and another behind that and so on.

So if we take a snapshot of two systems; one with a significantly higher flow, I'd argue we'd see the unit volume of water in the lower flow system picking up more heat in the blower's aftercooler than the higher flow system. This in turn puts more demand on the performance of the outside exchanger to dump more heat off the unit volume of water. Here one can argue since one is moving slower it has more time to dump that extra heat and thus there is no advantage to a higher flow. While it is true more time equals more time to remove heat water doesn't like dumping heat so less heat absorbed per volume is going to make it easier on the system to dump it. As long as the outside exchanger is sized such that it can remove X amount of heat energy that is adequate for the blower, asking it to remove less will result in lower temps.

Not sure if that sounded right and sorry for the long winded post.
Like a thermostat in a car, you need to allow the correct amount of time in the radiator to cool the water.

A simple way of thinking about it. Grab a glass of room temp water and place in the the refrigerator for 1 minute, then take it back out and set it on the table for 1 minute. Do that over and over for an hour. On a HOT day the glass will not cool fast enough, on a COLD day the water will cool. If you leave the glass in the refrigerator longer than outside, the water will stay colder.

The refrigerator is the heat exchanger in this scenario. The longer your water stays in the cooling area the cooler it will become.

With that said, you do have to move the water fast enough that it doesn't get hot instead of cooling. Having water volume control would be ideal. Increase and decrease volume. Fast enough to cool the after cooler, but not to fast that it's not being cooled long enough in the heat exchanger.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Jun 2 2010, 08:36 PM
Agreed that you need to ensure that the moving fluid ( water) has sufficient dwell time in the Front mount HX to allow the energy absorbed to be transferred to the outside environment.

However in the Aftercooler it is more important to maximize the log mean temperature deference then maximize dwell time.

If you maximize dwell time in the after cooler the Log meant temperature difference will be lower and thus the driving force to remove the energy form the air stream goes down.

Hence a well designed A2W intercooler setup
does two things
1) Maximizes water flow (velocity and mass) thought the Aftercooler to maximize Log mean temp deference
2) Ensures that there is sufficient time ( dwell time) , surface area, and capacity (total BTU) in the Front mount heat exchanger to remove way more energy then the Aftercooler could ever extract frrm the Air stream.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Less than 10% coolant huh? My kit did not say what to fill the cooler with and people on the board said "just use premix" so I did . I don't know what the ratio is in the premix I used so maybe I need to drain and start over. Although mine will see down to a maximum of minus 20 degrees in winter storage.

Mark I am sending you a PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to have some info on the stock pump provided by Comptech, but, they have not returned emails or answered any of my calls. hmph.

any who...I just got a larger heat exchanger yesterday (finally). When I get to swapping it out, I think I am going to go with distilled water and some water wetter this time instead of coolant. We'll see what kind of dramatic effect it has for me.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

I installed the new pump last night. I wasnt able to flow check it before hand because the stuff I used to bench test it were at my friends house.

I used a lot of pre-bend 90 degree angle heater hoses from autozone. This way I am guaranteed to not have any kinks. I noticed a difference right away. The setup cools off a lot sooner. However, it was 65-70 degrees out last night when I tested it, so I need to wait for an 80 degree day to see for sure.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by SuzukaBlueAP2,Jun 3 2010, 12:07 PM
I was hoping to have some info on the stock pump provided by Comptech, but, they have not returned emails or answered any of my calls. hmph.

any who...I just got a larger heat exchanger yesterday (finally). When I get to swapping it out, I think I am going to go with distilled water and some water wetter this time instead of coolant. We'll see what kind of dramatic effect it has for me.
Which larger heat exchange did you go with? I'm considering going with something like this and just routing my own hoses and bracket...

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_inf...822d09efdff3f3e
Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 AM

I have the Bosch pump (http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...oducts_id=1001) on my aftercooler. I'm running 50/50 coolant/water, but after reading this, I'm going to redo the mixture with much more water. I did have a kink in one of my hoses, but I ended up using a similar 90 degree bend like Rain h8r did, and there is no kink at all anymore.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by SeanSerino,Jun 8 2010, 06:05 AM
I have the Bosch pump (http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...oducts_id=1001) on my aftercooler. I'm running 50/50 coolant/water, but after reading this, I'm going to redo the mixture with much more water. I did have a kink in one of my hoses, but I ended up using a similar 90 degree bend like Rain h8r did, and there is no kink at all anymore.
$179! That's cheap. I'm guessing it's made overseas?

Quick Reply: Heatsoaked SC aftercooler