S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Gt2860rs Disco Potato

Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt2860rs Disco Potato

I have GT2860rs Disco Potato sitting around and im thinking to swiching over my .60r turboneticks turbo just to see the diffrence. I also have the flange to go from t3 to t28 flange. Should I do it? I am looking for faster spool over more power.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

it will spool very quickly! probably 2.5-3.5k depending on your manifold! Then run out of its efficiency and fall on its face! You will need to add lots of fuel to your map down low, so make sure you get it tuned after the switch! Around town it will feel great! Any high rpm pulls will be much slower!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should make for a great street machine, first off what's your compression ratio? I'm assuming stock 11.1:1? Lowering it much will just make that more more load for the turbo to make up for in volume, probably best to keep it fairly high in this more unique case. I'd say the same though by 3K you should be at full boost for sure. Should make some good tq/hp ratio. Since it'll spool quickly as the the guy above posted make sure u get a tune cause it's going to lean out a LOT in that lower range.

-Greg
Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 AM

05TurboS2k ,

Actually I just lowered the the compresion on 3mm Inline Pro HG.
will this make diffrence?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 AM

A smaller turbo like this will require a very high pressure ratio to get maximum flow out of it. 10 PSI on a disco potato isn't the same thing as 10 psi with a GT35. If you are going to use a really small turbo and want to max it out in terms of flow capacity, your compression ratio should definitely be lowered.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:03 AM

So now im 9:1 with the InlinePro HG and i have 750 RC injectors, walbro pump and AEM EMS to control all of it.
I really like my .60 Turbonetics turbo ( kicks in at 4.5k rpm, full probably at 5.5k)
But i miss the responce i had on my 240sx with sr20det stock turbo t28,
I just lowed how fast is sool in. Im looking for more fun then speed I guess.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM

slimjim, my concern is maxing out the flow capacity barely before he makes up the volumetric compression loss due to the compression drop from 3mm. I'm not sure the flow capability of this setup but I'd have to imagine it is likely that it will have trouble in the upper RPM range creating pressure, with that said perhaps a 2mm cometic might have been better to keep it a bit higher compression. Your estimation is probably better than mine but I thought I'd bring the point up as a concern.

I guess a big question is what whp are you trying to achieve? It's always been my own opinion that compression should be lowered only enough to get away with the hp number your looking for, it seems many people run 10-12psi on a 3mm. I sometimes ask myself if that's just overkill since I know I easily get away with 8psi at 11.1:1 and I know others have got as high as 10psi at 11:1. I know there's some other factors I'm leaving out here but just in general I think for that group of people for example around 12psi they were probably better off just using a 2mm to keep the car's N/A ability higher, thus better driving off boost and faster turbo spool since the motors n/a hp is better.

perhaps its all arguable.

-Greg
Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 AM

yeah im not that good with setups, so im still thinking which way to go.
I put the HG to be safe, and 300hp with quick spool is enough for me.
I just want to have fun now and in meanwhile buy another block, have it built and later switched when this setup will get old.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i think what he means is that your gonna have to spin the GT28 really quickly to make up for its lack of flow. So lots of PSI, which increases the IAT's and chances of predetonation. Lower compression will help with that!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:18 AM

I'm making over 300 with full spool by 3500rpm, GT30R. I'm assuming you will have some really early spooling, should be fun. This is where the head gasket deal comes into play IMO. In anycase your HG is done and being You have a turbo car its not a bad thing in general AT ALL. So I guess its just best to consider your best move from here.

Honestly you'll need to look at some maps and actually compare to really figure out if this would be an upgrade or just a complete waste of your time. I myself don't know it well enough to start giving a direction I can only speculate with the information I've found to be true.

Perhaps someone can chime in on the flow capabilities here with both setups????
My guess would put the GT28RS in general somewhere around 300-310hp. Thus pushing this thing near its limits, however making a very drivable machine around town.

-Greg

Quick Reply: Gt2860rs Disco Potato