S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

grinding noise

Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise

Went to take off at a red light with a hard launch the other day nothing out of the ordinary. reved up dumped clutch heard tires bark then a weird zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise jammed clutch back in noise went away let clutch out slowly noise came back. at first thought rear diff ( running kaaz 1.5) pulled rear apart checked ring and pinon great shape checked half shafts in hogs head good to go checked cv axle bearing good as well took apart rear diff inspected clutches and plates not a thing wrong. gettin ready to reinstall rear end had to wait on set screws for lsd unit. kaaz said it was most likely the lsd bound up and and just free spun making noise they said disassemble and reassemble and that shoud fix it. My question is if that dont fix it then............ and please dont tell me what i dont want to hear lol....is it the tranny clutch pressure plate or throw out bearing? running iron man 4 puck disc and fidanza fly wheel.....also have cryo treated tranny. please give me some input before i tear anything else apart.....also has anyone else ever had or heard of the lsd binding up and just free spooling on the half shafts making zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise?

thanks,

Trathen
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you in gear when the noise happens or neutral?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like exactly what happened to me.

Get in the car, start it up and put it in 1st. Get someone brave to be behind the car looking at the CV joints (might chock the wheels just in case).

Slowly let the clutch out. You should hear the grinding noise. I expect the observer will see one CV cup spin wildly and the noise.

This is what happens when you break an axle.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM

The car is in gear when the noise starts......... When i got under the car and held the drive shaft with one hand i could eaisly spin the drivers tire and heard a clinking noise coming from around the rear end housing......when i held the drive shaft and spun the passenger tire i couldnt spin it without the driveshaft turning. i checked the axels especially the drivers and sould not see any sign of wear or teeth ground off or missing within the axle...........but my first assumption of what i broke was the axle number one or the lsd number two or the ring and pinion number three.......i will recheck the axle to be sure but in the first pic you had i noticed the rubber boot was wrapped a little and the drivers axle was the same way when i first got under the car so maybe that was it.............if it is the axle how much did you pay for another one and where did you get it?

trathen
Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 PM

also did it wear the inside of the axle housing more than the joints and splines on the axle its self? or does the axle shaft just sit and spin inside of the cv joint
Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 PM

If your boot is twisted it's definitely the tripod in the CV.

I had recently replaced my entire half shafts due to the CV shakes. I just had my old right hand axle reinstalled.

I bought both half shafts used for $AUD150. A bargain for sure.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 PM

The splines on the axle and the tripod are a bit rounded. Not really reusable.

I kept mine to send off to an axle maker just for measurement purposes.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM

Yeah sounds like the CV, I dont have a spare drivers side but I do have a spare passengers side. Hopefully you can find a drivers side axle used locally.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Banned

this is kinda getto but if you do have a spare passenger side you can pull the tripod off of that one and install it on the driver side if the splines aren't to messed up. that's if it is the tripod. did you get it into second gear at all or it happened right when you took off?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Yes you can do that, more work than it is worth tho.

Quick Reply: grinding noise