S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

GReddy Turbo and manifold upgrade?

Old 11-11-2010 | 01:02 PM
15 Year Member

Don't think forum allow to discuss pricing on these threads? But I imagine it would be more than the price they advertie in their website since it would be sorta one-off
I'm also looking into other options. (making it myself with help of a somewhat decent fabricator friend)
Old 11-11-2010 | 01:35 PM

^^^Pictures Added!
Old 11-11-2010 | 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 9krevvin,Nov 11 2010, 02:35 PM
^^^Pictures Added!
You really weren't kidding, that thing is actually welded on there. Unbelievable. The other manifold looks good, but I don't think it would work with the remainder of the turbo kit, but I wouldn't be able to tell for sure without seeing it on a car.

I also sent you a PM, just so you had an idea of the cost.
Old 11-11-2010 | 04:04 PM

I talked with GReddy and they said they will rebuild it, but there will be no "grey" area for warranty. GReddy does not warranty their rebuilds, but they offer a "grey" area so that if something catastrophic happens on start up they will fix it...mine will not have this. Should I do it? $360 for the rebuild+shipping.

Also I have this manifold and down pipe that I could use, but I don't know if I want to. If I rebuild the GReddy turbo I will most likely sell this. How much do y'all think this is worth?

Old 11-11-2010 | 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 9krevvin,Nov 11 2010, 09:46 AM
Are you trying to find something wrong with what I say? Obviously when I say the Turbo and manifold are WELDED together and they need to be rebuilt I'm pretty sure most people would know I meant just the Turbo. The manifold kinda goes wherever the Turbo does. I did say I was new to FI so you should know I'm not going to know everything. Which most likely means I do not know how/ trust myself to rebuild my Turbo.

Now that said if you want to help me and not make fun of me your help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Matt H.
Old 11-12-2010 | 12:17 AM

Just chiming in...but dont Greddy manifolds crack easily? If you get the turbo rebuilt with the manifold still welded together, wont that be an issue when the manifold cracks (which is inevitable)?
Old 11-12-2010 | 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by jabbarahm,Nov 12 2010, 03:17 AM
Just chiming in...but dont Greddy manifolds crack easily? If you get the turbo rebuilt with the manifold still welded together, wont that be an issue when the manifold cracks (which is inevitable)?
Yes it would be an issue, but the manifold has cracked before and was welded. If it does crack again I'll just weld it again. It sucks, but if I don't find a good Turbo and manifold soon it will be my only option.
Old 11-12-2010 | 05:23 AM

So it looks like you need to just fix your turbo or get a new manifold turbo combo. I guess it will come down to how much money you have and down time. I would do the mase hot side conversion or inline pro with the 5865B
Old 11-12-2010 | 05:47 AM

Agreed. Personally I'd just pick up a used turbo (look in the for sale threads) and bolt it to that nice tubular manifold you've got. I wouldn't pay to rebuild the Greddy T518Z turbo as is, because once you did, you'd find out that it doesn't make that much power anyway. But you could grind the welds off to separate the T518Z from the Greddy manifold (which is very restrictive) and then bolt it to the tubular as an interim step. The challenge there would be that the T518Z uses a T25 turbine inlet flange, and the one on your tubular manifold looks like a T4 in the pics which is quite a bit bigger. I've seen T25-to-T3 transitions before, but T4-to-T25 might require custom fab work.

1) Rebuild the T518Z as is: small money, small power
2) Rebuild the T518Z for the tubular mani: small money, small-medium power
3) Buy a turbo for the tubular mani: medium money, medium-big power

Many of us wind up upgrading the Greddy turbo/mani anyway, and you're already halfway there. I'd go with option 3 depending on what you can find that fits the flange on the tubular manifold. That flange might ultimately be the deciding factor. The other thing to consider is that the tubular manifold is a top mount, so you might have to relocate other stuff (battery, fuse box, a/c lines) in the engine bay to fit the turbo there. Or, you might not have to; it's hard to say for sure from just looking at the pics.
Old 11-12-2010 | 07:28 AM

If I go with option 3 it would cost quite a bit more money than option 1.
New Turbo: $1000 ish
New downpipe: $2-400
New oil filter relocation: $200
By the time I was done I would probably spend close to $2000

Option 1:
Rebuild Turbo: $360+ shipping.

I really only want 300 Whp I know y'all are going to say I will want more. I had a twin Turbo SC300 With 320 whp and I was 100% satisfied with it. That car weighed 1000 pounds more! This car is my daily driver and don't want it to be unusable or break all the time. I'm looking for reliability as well as power.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: GReddy Turbo and manifold upgrade?