S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Greddy oil return

Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=Soul Coughing,Feb 7 2008, 02:39 PM] so your saying that the oil drain hole is the best position to place an oil return line?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Feb 7 2008, 04:43 PM
To be completely honest with you, i'm not sure what the "Best" location is. Someone would have to do a flow test to determine the answer. IMO, if the oil return on the oil drain location works fine and at the same time is easier to install than tapping, then yes, i would consider it a better alternative to tapping. This would mean that both do the job correctly, yet one is easier to install.
"best" by my definition is the place where the oil can drain correctly without having any hinderances! In past experience, by moving the oil return above the level that oil is in the pan, helped stop oil getting forced into the intake track of my motor!
"Best" to a company selling a product that is easy to install with little to no modifications at a low price maybe different than what the end user really needs! I am not selling a product here! As you said yourself, 'not every car will behave the same', why not at least cut down on the possibilities of problems! Especially for people DD these cars etc...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Feb 7 2008, 03:02 PM
"best" by my definition is the place where the oil can drain correctly without having any hinderances! In past experience, by moving the oil return above the level that oil is in the pan, helped stop oil getting forced into the intake track of my motor!
"Best" to a company selling a product that is easy to install with little to no modifications at a low price maybe different than what the end user really needs! I am not selling a product here! As you said yourself, 'not every car will behave the same', why not at least cut down on the possibilities of problems! Especially for people DD these cars etc...
I'm not trying to argue with you, but point is, w/ the oil restrictor in line, having the oil return in the position that it is, hasn't caused any problems to date. That's all.
We both don't have any numerical data to prove it or disprove it on the Greddy kit. I have my experiences with the kit and you have your experiences with a different kit. But since i am running the kit, I think my experiences pertain more to this tk than your experiences.

*I am not selling a product either. I have no idea why you keep mentioning this. My information isn't biased or anything, it's based upon my own knowledge with the kit, my experiences installing 5 kits and my experiences daily driving the kit. I'm just telling it how it is. You make claims like you know the engineers who designed the kit and reasons why things are on the kit, when in reality that is not the case.

*The "not every car will behave the same" comment was about basemaps & tuning, and had nothing to do with the oil return.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is running a oil return line back to the pan? That's the way I planned on doing mine
Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's connected to the pan. The supplied drain line is much larger than the feed line - no drain issues whatsoever.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Feb 7 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm not trying to argue with you, but point is, w/ the oil restrictor in line, having the oil return in the position that it is, hasn't caused any problems to date. That's all.
We both don't have any numerical data to prove it or disprove it on the Greddy kit. I have my experiences with the kit and you have your experiences with a different kit. But since i am running the kit, I think my experiences pertain more to this tk than your experiences.

*I am not selling a product either. I have no idea why you keep mentioning this. My information isn't biased or anything, it's based upon my own knowledge with the kit, my experiences installing 5 kits and my experiences daily driving the kit. I'm just telling it how it is. You make claims like you know the engineers who designed the kit and reasons why things are on the kit, when in reality that is not the case.

*The "not every car will behave the same" comment was about basemaps & tuning, and had nothing to do with the oil return.
I'm sorry if i thought you were selling the kit. Every post you have made in the past few months has been in regards to the kit. You have a link on your profile inviting people to a Greddy event and your car was used as the protype for the kit. On top of other people refering to you as having the 'end all' opinion on the kit! My bad if i misinterpreted your influence! I am not trying to argue with you

My point from the beginning was that the oil drain bolt is not the best place to put the oil return! An oil restrictor going into the turbo has no influence on what happens to the oil after it leaves the turbo! As this is just going to keep going back and forth and i'm not going to sway your opinion, i will just stop! However, for anyone else who wants to possibly prevent issues with their kit, move the oil return to place above the oil level! Its not that tough to do and will prevent any long term issues with oil seals and oil blowby into the intake track!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Feb 8 2008, 12:40 PM
However, for anyone else who wants to possibly prevent issues with their kit, move the oil return to place above the oil level! Its not that tough to do and will prevent any long term issues with oil seals and oil blowby into the intake track!
Amen

Marcus
Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of oil in the intake tract.. I have been thinking about getting a catch can when I install the turbo. Am I correct in the way it works in thinking that it just goes in between the intake pipe and the crankcase vent?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Feb 8 2008, 10:40 AM
My point from the beginning was that the oil drain bolt is not the best place to put the oil return! An oil restrictor going into the turbo has no influence on what happens to the oil after it leaves the turbo! As this is just going to keep going back and forth and i'm not going to sway your opinion, i will just stop! However, for anyone else who wants to possibly prevent issues with their kit, move the oil return to place above the oil level! Its not that tough to do and will prevent any long term issues with oil seals and oil blowby into the intake track!
You are getting way to worked up over this subject. Lessening/slowing the flow of oil into the turbo will lessen/slow the flow going out of the turbo. It's not the build up of oil in the return line that usually blows oil seals. It's high pressure oil flow feeding into the turbo that usually blows seals, which is what the restrictor is for.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Envied,Feb 8 2008, 04:18 PM
Speaking of oil in the intake tract.. I have been thinking about getting a catch can when I install the turbo. Am I correct in the way it works in thinking that it just goes in between the intake pipe and the crankcase vent?
The best place to put a catch tank on an S2000 is in line of the PCV. Remove the hose from the PCV to the IM, and run your catch tank there.

Quick Reply: Greddy oil return