S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Greddy Offers No Warranties?

Old 10-27-2008 | 01:33 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Default Greddy Offers No Warranties?

Here is a message I sent about my Greddy kit that was just installed and their response. I bought this kit with the understanding they would back their product, I think that I was way off on that one????????

Chris is this how it worked when you were there or is something else going on?

My Message

I am sending this after I have repeatedly tried to contact your authorized vendor Adrenaline Motorsports regarding parts that have failed after buying a new turbo kit for my Honda S2000 AP1 from them in August. I emailed and called multiple times and never received a response, I have attached the original message sent on September 9th. Since this happened the problem has progressively gotten worse and I took apart the oil feed again to try and fix it to find that the #35 oil pressure union was stripped. This happened after the fitting continued to leak between the crush washer and turbo cartridge even when retightened. I took extra precautions when I originally installed the fitting and since there were no torque specs I torqued the fitting to 19ftlb. I noticed a leak after starting the car the first time and I torque again. I did this a few more times until it completely stripped this evening. I worry that the cartridge threads were originally damaged causing the failure but I was able to use a M10-P1.25 tap to clean the treads. The threads on the feed hose have been damage from removing and reinstalling several times.

Thank You for Your help and Please let me know what I need to do to get these replacement parts so I can get the car up and running once again.

Greddy's Response

Thank you for your interest in Greddy Products. Our Turbo Kits are not covered under warranty. There is no way to keep track of how they were used and maintained. You will have to purchase these parts through an Authorized Greddy Dealer via order by description. Contact the dealer, tell them what you need, then fax or email them a copy of the parts list with the part needed circled. Here is a link to find the Dealer closest to you www.Greddy.com/Authorized/
Old 10-27-2008 | 01:35 PM

as far as i know, there was never an explicit warranty from greddy..anything greddy covers is goodwill.. maybe chris can confirm this
Old 10-27-2008 | 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by devs2k,Oct 27 2008, 01:35 PM
as far as i know, there was never an explicit warranty from greddy..anything greddy covers is goodwill.. maybe chris can confirm this
Old 10-27-2008 | 02:15 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

What blows my mind was that the part I needed had a list cost of $6.

This is on their website, and I know I read something about a year warrenty.

No warranty whatsoever will be valid if the defect was caused by abuse, negligence and/or mishandling. GReddy reserves the right to make this determination. GReddy Performance Products, Inc. reserves all rights for determination and execution for all warranty claims. All merchandise sold by GReddy Performance Products, Inc. is subject to the GReddy manufacturer's warranty, if any, and is subject to submission to the manufacturer for approval for repair or replacement of merchandise. The warranty period varies from product line to product line.

For warranty information on a specific product line, contact your local dealer or GReddy. GReddy is not responsible for any incidental or consequential damages. Customer will be responsible for all shipping and handling fees. No labor or inconvenience may be included in any claims. For warranty requirement, if applicable, please contact a GReddy Authorized Dealer for details. If shipping damage has occurred, it is the customer
Old 10-27-2008 | 02:50 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

The install instructions say "this kit has no warranty" or something to that effect on the front page. It sucks, but it's the truth.
Old 10-27-2008 | 03:10 PM

I learned this the hard way, but greddy did replace a bunch of manifolds at no cost. Find a good greddy dealer and use them to get the parts you need.
Old 10-27-2008 | 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by devs2k,Oct 27 2008, 02:35 PM
this is correct. As stated in the email and on the website from greddy, the kits have a manufacturers warranty but nothing else is expressed or implied. This means that if a pipe breaks in half out of the box, or welds crack out of the box, or the turbo leaks upon initial install, there is probably a manufacturer defect at the root of the problem.

If you claim things like this a year or even 2 months down the line, greddy doesn't know how you drove the car or what. They're just watching their backs, so ppl don't lie and try to get free replacement parts for problems that they may have caused. Someone could have put the kit on and rallied their car everyday since, and try to claim a broken weld on manufacturer defect, when it was really caused by extreme race conditions. So each situation is different and is reviewed by the warranty personnel as to who will pay for the replacement parts and repairs. Anyway, that's a little of Greddy Warranty policy for everyone.

dsddcd,

While i would consider a stripped union, installation error (ie. not eligible for warranty), i think greddy will replace it for you anyway since its such a small part..

Call greddy 949-588-8300 and explain them (calmly) the situation. I'm sure they would be happy to replace the line for you at no charge. If they are slightly reluctant, tell them Chris Lum told them to replace it for you for free...seriously!

On a related note, I've never had a problem with the feed line leaking at either union (cartridge side or block side) and i've done the install 8 times now...including 4-5 other times removing the turbo & manifold, therefore disconnecting and reconnecting the oil feed line. I know there are no torque specs, but for future reference, i think 1/4 to 1/2 turn past hand tight on this will do it. It doesn't take much for it to create a nice seal, assuming the crush washer is new and nothing is cross threaded, etc. And hopefully you didn't put any teflon tape on this union.

Also, as a tip to everyone, the clearance between the oil feed line (turbo side) and union is sometimes too close to the manifold. If this happens, slightly loosen the V clamp that holds the hot side of the turbo to the center cartridge and clock the turbo so there is enough clearance to remove the line and union. I can imagine that this tight clearance has caused some ppl trouble when removing or installing this union and feed line.

so you might want to change the thread title, b/c the warranty policy has not changed since you bought the kit. You've always had a manufacturers warranty on the kit. But any other warranty is not offered, as expressed in the turbo kit install manual and on their website.
Old 10-27-2008 | 04:24 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Oct 27 2008, 03:24 PM
While i would consider a stripped union, installation error (ie. not eligible for warranty), i think greddy will replace it for you anyway since its such a small part..

Call greddy 949-588-8300 and explain them (calmly) the situation.
I did call and I have worked customer service and I know how those aholes can be so I am always courteous. I told them I would be more than happy to pay for it but I need one as soon as I can to move the car and I offered to pay shipping, but they told me that I had to call a dealer. The original dealer is also who told me about the 1 year warranty. I ended up calling GT Motoring in Illinois and they had the order placed in minutes. They were very helpful and I ended up ordering all of the parts that the other authorized dealer did not want to sell me.

I probably should have torqued it to around 10-12lbs based on most crush washer applications but I did not strip it until the end. The second time it leaked I pulled out the fitting to inspect it, replaced the crush washer and reinstalled. Oh and I defiantly did not install any Teflon.

I have also had issues with the oil relocation kit and didn't even go there. I just tossed the original and worked it out another way.

I also understand Greddy's concern about warranties but what was astonishing to me is that their response was not, how can I help?, it was do I have to help. I know answering the same questions over and over again gets old but that is part of the job. When I ordered the base tune so I could get that straight I finally got a younger guy that was very eager to help and very nice but unfortunately he was not able to answer the questions. The point is he tried and in his efforts he helped by pointing me to the forum and mohad which at the time was like the Holy Grail. As they say it's the little things that help.

Chris as usual thanks for your response, since I can't buy you a beer I might have to mail you one.
Old 10-27-2008 | 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dsddcd,Oct 27 2008, 05:24 PM

I also understand Greddy's concern about warranties but what was astonishing to me is that their response was not, how can I help?, it was do I have to help. I know answering the same questions over and over again gets old but that is part of the job. When I ordered the base tune so I could get that straight I finally got a younger guy that was very eager to help and very nice but unfortunately he was not able to answer the questions. The point is he tried and in his efforts he helped by pointing me to the forum and mohad which at the time was like the Holy Grail. As they say it's the little things that help.

Chris as usual thanks for your response, since I can't buy you a beer I might have to mail you one.
That sucks that you got someone bad on the phone the first time. The second person was probably Brian, he's very nice, but still learning.

Glad GTM was able to help you out. As you have figured out, not all dealers are created equal. Some dealers care a lot more than others.

Let me know if you need any other kind of help!
Old 10-27-2008 | 06:56 PM

Greg at GTM helped me out when my kit was missing a compression tube. I was able to get it within a few weeks.

I'm glad someone helped you.

Quick Reply: Greddy Offers No Warranties?