S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Gauge setup

Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge setup

What gauge setup are you guys have? I'm leaning toward the PLX but I've been reading mix reviews. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by owweee
What gauge setup are you guys have? I'm leaning toward the PLX but I've been reading mix reviews. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

I won't buy plx again.

Back when they were releasing (in a couple months) the touch dm-100, I paid for that, plus a wideband (dm-6), and 5 or 6 sensor modules (about $1100). After waiting for about 6-8 months on the dm-100, I asked for my money back on everything that I didn't use that was still new in the box...and they told me I was passed the window of time to return things. I explain I wouldn't have bought all the sensors I did if I knew I wouldn't be able to use that gauge, but no luck. And trying to get a hold of them post purchase was a pain. I kept getting the run-around on the release "next month...2 months". Its been a few years, but I don't remember prompt(within 3 days) responses, and trying to get through on the phone wasn't easy either.

IMO the quality of the sensor modules is very low. It is a circuit board that slides into an extruded piece of aluminum. The boxes are designed to stack together by sliding into each other. Most of mine wouldn't do this without grinding something here or there. The circuit board also moves/rattles around. They have 3 different types of plugs on one module (egt/iat have 4). I didn't feel like anything was well thought out. You have to watch where you put these modules. Even though they aren't that big, the dc plug and headphone jack need almost the same amount of space (width) as the module itself. My IAT and fluid module was inaccurate (compared to the ecu and a greddy multi d/a gauge). And my boost module seemed to cut on/off on the sensor side of things.

The size of the gauge itself (dm-6) is nice. Not very deep, maybe 3/8". The display area is small, but very easy to read even in the graph mode. My issues with the gauge is 2 different connectors and their logo. Gauge has a "headphone jack" connector and a pair of wires that runs all the way to the sensor modules. You cannot unplug them from the gauge, the wires run straight into it. So if you have to remove them for some reason, you will have to cut and reconnect (or add a connector you can unplug). The logo is almost as tall as the displayed numbers, and is bright(white). It was a little distracting, so I blacked it out later on. And I could not adjust brightness on the dm-6. At night it can be fairly bright if its in your field of vision. To me these are small issues.

So today I have nothing plx in my car except for the wideband module. I don't use the dm-6 display anymore, the module just feeds the wideband signal to the ecu.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:44 AM

I agree with him ^^ In theory the gauge design is a great idea, but their quality control and communication leave a lot to be desired. I had to send my OLED DM100 touch gauge back twice to get a screen that didn't have lines across the whole thing. The connectors are also on the cheap side and the first gauge I received had the screen glued crooked internally by ~ 5 degrees (which would have bothered the hell out of my OCD).

Once I got it set up how I wanted it works pretty well, but wasn't worth the headache and ~$400 to get there.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen
Originally Posted by owweee' timestamp='1433085758' post='23630916

I won't buy plx again.

Back when they were releasing (in a couple months) the touch dm-100, I paid for that, plus a wideband (dm-6), and 5 or 6 sensor modules (about $1100). After waiting for about 6-8 months on the dm-100, I asked for my money back on everything that I didn't use that was still new in the box...and they told me I was passed the window of time to return things. I explain I wouldn't have bought all the sensors I did if I knew I wouldn't be able to use that gauge, but no luck. And trying to get a hold of them post purchase was a pain. I kept getting the run-around on the release "next month...2 months". Its been a few years, but I don't remember prompt(within 3 days) responses, and trying to get through on the phone wasn't easy either.

IMO the quality of the sensor modules is very low. It is a circuit board that slides into an extruded piece of aluminum. The boxes are designed to stack together by sliding into each other. Most of mine wouldn't do this without grinding something here or there. The circuit board also moves/rattles around. They have 3 different types of plugs on one module (egt/iat have 4). I didn't feel like anything was well thought out. You have to watch where you put these modules. Even though they aren't that big, the dc plug and headphone jack need almost the same amount of space (width) as the module itself. My IAT and fluid module was inaccurate (compared to the ecu and a greddy multi d/a gauge). And my boost module seemed to cut on/off on the sensor side of things.

The size of the gauge itself (dm-6) is nice. Not very deep, maybe 3/8". The display area is small, but very easy to read even in the graph mode. My issues with the gauge is 2 different connectors and their logo. Gauge has a "headphone jack" connector and a pair of wires that runs all the way to the sensor modules. You cannot unplug them from the gauge, the wires run straight into it. So if you have to remove them for some reason, you will have to cut and reconnect (or add a connector you can unplug). The logo is almost as tall as the displayed numbers, and is bright(white). It was a little distracting, so I blacked it out later on. And I could not adjust brightness on the dm-6. At night it can be fairly bright if its in your field of vision. To me these are small issues.

So today I have nothing plx in my car except for the wideband module. I don't use the dm-6 display anymore, the module just feeds the wideband signal to the ecu.
Seem like you had some pretty bad experience, I def. going to stay away from PLX. I guess AEM will do than.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AEM pillar gauge. I like to keep things simple lol
Old 06-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an SOS Dual Pillar with AEM Boost and Wideband. Thinking about switching eventually to Stack Gauges. I would love love love to do a single stack cluster in place of the stock gauges. That way I can have wideband, oil pressure, oil temp, egt, fuel pressure, voltage, everything I want all going into a stock style cluster. But $1300-2000 plus sensors is a pretty penny and def not the most cost effective route but its def the cleanest imo
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What stand alone do you run. What year is your car?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost gauge in one and then an Innovate dual Oil Pressure/Temp gauge in one. I went with A pillar mounted.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by camuman
Originally Posted by owweee' timestamp='1433085758' post='23630916

I'm running Kpro, AP1 03
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman' timestamp='1433174757' post='23632059
[quote name='owweee' timestamp='1433085758' post='23630916']

I'm running Kpro, AP1 03
[/quote]

would aeroforce gauges work on your setup?

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/