S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Garrett warranty ?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garrett warranty ?

Does Garrett supply any type of warranty ? I have a 3076r and after 10 months and 7 thousand miles, my turbo took a shit. Shaft play. And is becoming less efficient as the day is long.

I would like to upgrade to a bigger turbo anyways, but idk what todo with this one as far as selling or fixing it goes or what my best options are.

I do have water lines and oil hooked up. I'm not really getting any smoking out of it. So.

Input ?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about warranty, but if nothing else, there is this: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/bbservice

Each distributor has different rules, but IMO the best one is ATP Turbo. Contact them if you want to do that. I got my replacement CHRA for around half price. Not sure if they will let you upgrade though.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Most likely an installation issue as these turbos are damn near bulletproof if installed correctly. On S2000s, most people do not do the oil drain correctly. It could be other issues like Foreign Object Damage, etc. The reason I say to check the installation is because you'll have another turbo failure down the road and waste more money.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Most likely an installation issue as these turbos are damn near bulletproof if installed correctly. On S2000s, most people do not do the oil drain correctly. It could be other issues like Foreign Object Damage, etc. The reason I say to check the installation is because you'll have another turbo failure down the road and waste more money.

What would make the oil drain incorrect ? I have the feed at 15 degrees from verticle. And the drain into the top of the pan but I've never had smoke or backup (so it seems)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Do you have an oil pressure restrictor installed?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jpetch05
Originally Posted by spdracerut' timestamp='1339783357' post='21784794

What would make the oil drain incorrect ? I have the feed at 15 degrees from verticle. And the drain into the top of the pan but I've never had smoke or backup (so it seems)
Top of the oil pan is not high enough as the drain may still be below oil level in the pan. You really need to tap the girdle.

Here's a link to the turbo trouble shooting guide from Garrett:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ting_Guide.pdf

Might want to read this too:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...eshooting.aspx
Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN

I was told by the sales man from afi ..... That with the gt series use the correct feed line without a restrictor
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jpetch05
Originally Posted by TerminatioN' timestamp='1339787028' post='21784976

I was told by the sales man from afi ..... That with the gt series use the correct feed line without a restrictor
Mine developed shaft play randomly awhile back too. I replaced the CHRA with a new one from ATP, and added a restrictor in. It is advertised on their site as a "GT30R" restrictor. I don't know why they would advertise it as such if it wasn't meant to be for that. Anyways, several people on here told me I needed one as well.

It has been over a year since I replaced it and it is still running strong...
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Originally Posted by jpetch05' timestamp='1339783652' post='21784808
[quote name='spdracerut' timestamp='1339783357' post='21784794']

Top of the oil pan is not high enough as the drain may still be below oil level in the pan. You really need to tap the girdle.

Here's a link to the turbo trouble shooting guide from Garrett:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ting_Guide.pdf

Might want to read this too:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...eshooting.aspx
[/quote]

dont agree. his turbo failed from lack of restrictor plain and simple. many on the site have drained to top of pan with zero problems, myself included. the pan doesnt fill that much with oil, esp when car is running. however, oil pressure has claimed many turbos on this site.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

your turbo is blow because you are not useing the correct .035 restrictor. I have clost to 80,000 miles on my gt35r on my evo and it has no shaft play and still runs like new.

Quick Reply: Garrett warranty ?