S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Forced induction S2000 long term reliability.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

My Comptech SC has been bulletproof for about 5+ years. It uses the OEM ecu and will still pass emissions testing. As long as you don't change anything with the kit, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Nov 10 2010, 10:01 AM
just my opinion from all sorts of experience:

sinc you are new to it all, and you want a "boost" in power, go with a complete basline SC kit with out a standalone etc. the gains will be noticeable for sure and you will retain the reliability you wish for.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like turbo kits run about $2000 more than supercharger kits. Is installation with one more expensive than the other?

Once all of the dust settles, are both systems about equally priced?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say it depends on yourself. Def do more research. I LOVE my Greddy kit as it is more useful then the Vortech I had previously. I make the same peak power up top but they got there different way. There is plenty of torque down low and I hardly ever get into Vtec except to make a point I had my problems with my Vortech charger and it was minor things, i.e. fuel pump went out, fouled plugs, etc. Easy things to fix but nonetheless wasnt as reliable as stock. The Greddy knock on wood has been trouble free and I have only had an issue with what I thought was the BOV but was actually a vaccum leak Either way you go good luck

Oh and if it helps I installed my Vortech in about a day and a half the Greddy kit in about 6 hours. So easy of installation can go either way
Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have almost nothing Stock,, and i been FI for more than a year. But I dont drag the car or beat on it... I have not had any issues so far. I guess what i am saying is, it all depends on how you drive your car
Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my CTSC kit on 7 psi for over 7 years, and other than changing out new belts, and keeping fresh spark plugs and oil in the motor, I've had no issues. I was very happy with that kit, and have no complaints about the reliability it offers.

I'm now turbo'd, the car is a lot more fun, and yes there's more things to keep an eye on, but I think the fun factor in return is well worth it.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by icemans2k02,Nov 10 2010, 08:06 AM
Oh and if it helps I installed my Vortech in about a day and a half the Greddy kit in about 6 hours. So easy of installation can go either way
How did you plumb your oil return line to install in only 6 hrs?

I've often times thought about just getting a greddy turbo kit, straight pipe, and flashpro, shooting for high 200whp/300whp, but modding/power is a slippery slope. If it was me, I'd much prefer a greddy kit over a supercharger. The fat torque curve would make the s2k a blast to drive.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg,Nov 10 2010, 08:56 AM

I've often times thought about just getting a greddy turbo kit, straight pipe, and flashpro, shooting for high 200whp/300whp, but modding/power is a slippery slope. If it was me, I'd much prefer a greddy kit over a supercharger. The fat torque curve would make the s2k a blast to drive.
It's a hoot and looks like this:

Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowTeg,Nov 10 2010, 12:56 PM

That's the easiest part actually. The Greddy kit comes with an adapter to screw into the oil pan drain, and a hose to hang off the bottom of the turbo.

Long term it makes me nervous as heck that a hose (or hose clamp) could fail and release all of my oil, but it was quick & easy to install.

Greddy totally changes the nature of the car. Romp on the gas at any RPM and it lunges, hard. Daily driving is a blast with it. It makes VTEC irrelevant unless you're racing or just wanna feel everything it's got.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque Obsessed,Nov 10 2010, 10:27 AM
That's the easiest part actually. The Greddy kit comes with an adapter to screw into the oil pan drain, and a hose to hang off the bottom of the turbo.

Long term it makes me nervous as heck that a hose (or hose clamp) could fail and release all of my oil, but it was quick & easy to install.
That's what I was honestly most concerned about.. I've always been of the mentality that the turbo drain has to do actually that, drain. With the oil drain going to the drain bolt, it'll essentially always keep oil backed up in the drain tube upto the level of the oil. The question is, does this cause problems for anyone? I've always thought that this is a bad/lazy way to implement the drain..

For oil changes then, is the drain plug basically a banjo bolt w/ two washers (one on each side of the drain fitting) that you change each time? While I do like the simplicity of the drain, I'm not sold on it, and wonder if it's bad for the turbo at all long term..

Do many people opt to weld a fitting towards the top of the pan (which is how it's usually done) rather than use greddy's drain going to the drain bolt location?

I wouldn't worry too much about the hose clamp failing if you attached it properly. There are plenty of hose clamps and the like that hold our cars together for critical parts/systems.

Quick Reply: Forced induction S2000 long term reliability.