S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Forced Induction

Old 06-05-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Induction

have you guys heard of Ultimate Racing before? these guys based in Canada. www.ultimate-racing.com.

okay, my question is, which is good, I mean, turbo charge it or supercharge it? thank you.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are many threads in this forum (F.I.) about the UR turbo. There are also threads where this question has been asked a few times in the past. Since this forum is relatively new, there are only 10 pages of threads to date. It wouldn't be too difficult to scan through them to find what you are looking for.
Good luck with your decision and in your quest.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:57 AM

From what I've seen people seem to go turbo after being supercharged... Take that as you will but PM Tinker219 for your turbo needs.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RZFD,Jun 5 2005, 12:57 PM
From what I've seen people seem to go turbo after being supercharged... Take that as you will but PM Tinker219 for your turbo needs.
Reports of these on this forum can be counted on the fingers of both hands. What about the hundreds who have simply stayed with a supercharger? What about those who have removed their turbos and superchargers and have gone back to stock? These stats don't lend to any sort of trend. It's just the way it is and the rationale behind them is complex.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:46 PM

I haven't heard of or seen anyone go from turbo to supercharger though.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RZFD,Jun 5 2005, 04:46 PM
I haven't heard of or seen anyone go from turbo to supercharger though.
One would have to do some in depth analysis to see why. Just making a simple statement like this only leads to speculation. Therefore, I'll present one here:
Those who have gone turbo first have put in so much investment in time and money (and in the early days, repairs when things break) that there is poor motivation, in those peoples' minds, to ditch all that to put on something that is much cheaper in the investment of time and money. Supercharged S2000s have been around for a long time relative to the short history of successful turbo S2000s. Possibilities would only point toward a small percentage of these owners going to turbo in the natural progression of things. Those who went turbo in the early days and then got out, did not go to a supercharger simply because they had enough - too much time, too much headache and heartache and too much money spent. Those were the people whose experience helped to pave the way for today's more successful applications. We won't know if anyone will go turbo to S/C simply because there aren't sufficient "n" values to make a statistically viable conclusion. However, it is easy for turbo marketers and proponents to make simple statements and hope that observers will come to a conclusion that would actually be rhetorical based on how the statement was worded.

Unfortunately, we have digressed and have not addressed the original poster's question in any more meaningful detail. Hopefully, he has spent this intervening time to scan the threads in this forum so that he can make a more informed decision.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:31 PM

first of all, thanks a lot guys, second, very imformative of you, xviper. so, i've heard that turbochargers required times and finance to put in (repairs, maintenance, ...). third of all, how often do we have to check-up on the superchargers?
Old 06-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1_Honda,Jun 5 2005, 05:31 PM
first of all, thanks a lot guys, second, very imformative of you, xviper. so, i've heard that turbochargers required times and finance to put in (repairs, maintenance, ...). third of all, how often do we have to check-up on the superchargers?
These kits are designed to be bolt on a forget as far as maintenance is concerned. The only maintenance required is changng your engine oil at the proper interval. If installed correctly the first time, they will last until they wear out (generally 80K+ on the Mustangs using the same vortech supercharger as us).
Old 06-05-2005, 06:45 PM

I suggest reading back through all the debates as xviper suggested... There are also debates as to which manufacturers to use... Don't let someone with a supercharger scare you out of going with a turbo, and don't let someone with a turbo make you think you wouldn't be satisfied with a supercharger... it's all about what you've got to spend, how mechanically inclined you are, and what you want. I personally went with the LoveFab turbo setup, because it's producing the kind of power I want, and the quality is top notch. My roommate is running a comptech blower he's bumping to 14psi because he likes linear power delivery. Different strokes for different folks. It's all subjective. Read, read, and read some more. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've just removed my SC and am about to install a turbo. But don't take this as the definitive argument pro-turbo anti-sc. They both have their places.

The nice thing about the SCs is that you bolt on a very nice improvement in power without drastically changing the cars driving style. It's simple, safe, and cheap (at least compared to premium NA mods). It's CARB legal (if that is important to you) and easily reversible.

A turbo is a much bigger commitment. You really need to get some proper tuning done and the kit is going to cost more in the first place. So whereas you might budget $5K for an SC I'd suggest budgeting at least $7.5K for a turbo. I'm thinking LoveFab kit with exhaust and tuning.

Horses for courses.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction