S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Fan and AC Inoperative

Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan and AC Inoperative

Everyone, new Turbo owner here. My S has the PTuning GTX3076 turbo with AEM EMS system in it for reference . Did a 3 pull Dyno run yesterday and all is well. Fiften minutes into the drive home I noticed the temp gauge was 3/4 high mark and oil light is on.

At home, I changed the SPAL fan relay but no change. I attempted to turn on the AC but no movement at all. The little lights above the AC fun switch are not coming on and ofcourse the AC compressor is not moving.

Tried to check the engine bay fuse box (next to battery) diagram but it's unreadable so I can't figure out if there is an AC relay or fuse in there.

I'm illiterate when it comes to electrical and turbo. Any advice or suggestion to figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there is a fuse under the dash. check them and see if any are blown. I'd go look but I have a bottle in the little ones mouth.

Sent from my Galaxy II using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Thanks, man. I'll go and check them.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by sata3000
I know there is a fuse under the dash. check them and see if any are blown. I'd go look but I have a bottle in the little ones mouth.

OK, I found a burnth a/c fan 10 amps fuse under the dash replaced it turned then turned the key ignition to on flipped the AC fan switch and it works! Started the car and turned the AC fan switch and nothing, the fuse is burnth again. Check the diagram and it says 7.5 amps so I replaced the burnth 10 amps fuse with 7.5 amps. Turned the ignition to on flipped the AC switch and it works again. Turned the AC fan switch off, started the car and boom the fuse gone again and the fan dead again.

This time I put a new 10 amps fuse and replaced fan relay with the orginal one and checked the engine bay fuse box, found a 30 amps fuse burnth also. Replaced the 30 amps with a new one and turned the ignition to on flipped the AC fan and it works. Again I started the car, heard a click sound from under the dash again and 10 amps fused fried as usual! Checked the 30 amps fuse and it's ok.

For the last test, I replaced the 10 amps fuse and replaced the fan relay with the new one and did the same prcocess and kaboom again goes the 10 amps fuse! This time I'm bamboozled my brain-matters started blow fuses in my head and started to melt.

Anymore suggestion from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many amps are on the fuse your using on the fan relay?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which SPAL fan are you using (model #)? You may be using an undersized fuse.

The two SPAL fans I have specify a 15A fuse. These fans pull a good amount of inrush current and moderate load once quiescent.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM

The under dash fan relay fuse I replaced is 10amps that was already in there since I had the car . The big fan relay connected to the fan says 12V, it's the black square relay that measures about 1"X1".

Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 99SH

The two SPAL fans I have specify a 15A fuse. These fans pull a good amount of inrush current and moderate load once quiescent.
I will try the 15A and report back.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Uncoolron
Originally Posted by 99SH' timestamp='1332094067' post='21520092

I will try the 15A and report back.
Whee, whee, wheeeeeee....

You guys rock! 15 amps is the magic number! Thank you very much 99SH, you're spot on. Fuse did not blow AC fan switch, SPAL fan and compressor all working in harmony.

Now I'm going out driving.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome.

So you don't feel bad, I went thru the same troubles you did. I kept on blowing 10A fuses (sometimes), depending if the car was running or not. It almost felt like it was blowing by random.

One last thing to confirm. Do you have a low-profile fan? Reason I ask is that low-profile fans requires a 15A fuse, medium profile -20A.

Quick Reply: Fan and AC Inoperative