S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Extremely lean idle, possible misfire.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extremely lean idle, possible misfire.

Hey guys,

I've searched for quite a few hours on this topic with nothing really solid.

Here's the deal, I was completely stock before this and had ZERO issues with my car. Ran strong and perfect. Installed an InlinePro Stage 1 kit with a Precision 6265. After finishing the install, the car started with no problem after checking the oil pressure lines. Cold start was decent, AFR was rich (12's) and eventually made it to upper 14's. a couple minutes after heating up, AFRs dropped to 15,16,17 and then read blank. When it read blank, shut the motor off and thought about spark plugs. Swapped plugs with NGK BKR8EIX's. Started the car and same thing happened. AFRs dropped, this time stayed consistently in the 17's.

When I tap the gas a bit, it sputters. Definitely sounds like a misfire. I had a coil pack go out once and sounds exactly like that. Haven't gotten around to switching them yet, but what would cause a coil pack to go out after the install? Could running OE plugs for a couple of minutes damage the coil packs?

Have checked Vac and is consistently at 20-22, but the AFR, still extremely lean.

Friend before me owned this kit and we have the same set up with the exception of the fuel pump (shouldn't make a difference), MAP sensor (different brand, but both 4 Bar) and exhaust (I have the OE exhaust). I find it hard to believe that with minor differences between our set ups, I would be leaning out this bad.

Haven't compression tested or anything, but as mentioned, prior to my install, my car ran perfectly meaning compression and such was fine. I have tested the continuity (in ohms) and each coil connector read the same.

I'm looking to at least getting the AFRs normal so I can make it to a tuner to clean up the map. If anyone has suggestions on any possible fixes or things I can do to diagnose, please post it! It's been a stressful week and it's very demotivating to spend all this time to come to this. Thanks guys, appreciate the responses in advance!

-Steve
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Coil packs are super easy to diagnose if you have a friend with coils you can just swap real fast. If not, I have an old set of ap1 coils that work just fine (have ~130k miles on them though) that ill sell you for $20 shipped.

If its not coils I would seriously consider looking at your injectors, I had a misfire problem that was intermittent and only started happening AFTER a full day of street tuning my car. Like new ID1000s I bought off here and I started misfiring, thought the same as you, must be a coil pack, but bought new ones, swapped them out and still had the problem, I put the stock injectors back in (Still N/A) and misfire went away.

If its a misfire it will sound like a Subaru engine, make sure it's a misfire first, watch some videos if you need to etc.
Also, after you get it figured out, make sure you change your oil, fuel wash will kill an engine.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Please include the following:

1. ECU management system
2. Injectors
3. Map Sensor
4. O2 Sensor
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Hey Liquid, thanks for the reply! Yeah I do have a friend that I can swap with, just haven't had a chance to try that yet. I have ID1000's, but would I be able to start it with my stock injectors on a map tuned for ID1000's? But it's a misfire for sure, I had a coil pack that wet out that sounded like a boxer haha. Sounded like what it sounds like now. Just not sure what I could have done in the install to make a coil pack go out?

Indi, thanks as well! AEM EMS v1, ID1000, Hondata 4 Bar and I'm using one o2 sensor which is my wideband. UEGO. My bud had an SOS 4 Bar.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM

What year is your car? According to the SOS website, the SOS 4 Bar is for 06-09 DBW. I don't see any AEM setting for the 4-bar on their website. Anyways, the 4 Bar SOS map sensor may have different MAP setting values than the OMNI/HONDATA 4 BAR sensor.

That may be your problem. You can't run your friend's tune on your car with a different map sensor. And NO! You can't run your friend's tune file on any other injector other than what it was tuned for.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM

My car is an 02. His is an 01. The tune on the EMS is tuned for ID1000's which is what is installed on my car.

I'll see if I can pull the map. Now there's no 4 bar setting for Hondata? Or there's no 4 bar setting for the SOS?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Actually, just confirmed with him. He has a 3 bar SOS. I have a 4 bar Hondata. Could be the problem with the misfire?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Was trying to compare the Map setting for the SOS and Hondata to see if they are the same. Can't seem to find SOS 4 BAR MAP values for the AEM.

If the SOS and OMNI/HONDATA is not a generic of each other, then you can't run the the tune file for the HONDATA 4BAR. The fuel mapping will be way off and you may be too rich or too lean.

Just tow the car to the tuner and get it all sorted out.

....just read your last post.. on the SOS 3 bar.

and yes..your fuel map requirement is way off. His tune is not valid for your set up.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 PM

Gotcha. So it's not even as simple as changing the values for the MAP Bar setting, right? The entire map needs to be trimmed because the entire fuel map is based off of a 3 bar sensor?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for future info, the SOS 4 bar and hondata 4 bar have the same exact calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Extremely lean idle, possible misfire.