S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Engine Swap Question

Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap Question

The last time I built my current engine setup I installed the short block first, added the head, installed the Full Race Exhaust manifold and turbo, and then installed the intake manifold. Now that I'm getting ready to install my Laskey Racing block, I'm thinking about putting it completely together on an engine stand and then installing it in the car. Anyone have any experience with this? Which way is easier. Also, I have a set of new '04 engine mounts that I would like to use as I was told they are a little stronger. Does anyone know if they fit?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:22 PM

Yes thats is what im doing assembly on the stand than sroping it in. if you notice where our mounts are and the size of our block and engine bay there is plents of room to move it around and drop the mounts in there correct location
Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

To install the engine assembly in from above the trans will have to be removed or at least unbolted then pulled back and supported in the trans tunnel.

If you have a 4 post lift, you can drop the front subframe with steering rack and control arms still attached, with the motor and trans still bolted together. Then pick the car up over the subframe.

New motor goes on where the old one came off.

Removing the engine /trans assembled from the top isn't going to happen. I've tried. The engine will not clear the crossmember in front of the block.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Sep 5 2006, 08:36 PM
To install the engine assembly in from above the trans will have to be removed or at least unbolted then pulled back and supported in the trans tunnel.

If you have a 4 post lift, you can drop the front subframe with steering rack and control arms still attached, with the motor and trans still bolted together. Then pick the car up over the subframe.

Removing the engine /trans assembled from the top isn't going to happen. I've tried. The engine will not clear the crossmember in front of the block.
Well, the last time I pulled the engine it was from the top without the tranny. But, like I said, it was only the short block. Currently, I don't have a 4 post lift, but I do plan to have one by next Spring.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Former Moderator

In that case I'd do it like this:

Remove trans, remove turbo and manifold then remove engine. Or wait until spring to take the running car apart
Old 09-05-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Sep 5 2006, 08:49 PM
In that case I'd do it like this:

Remove trans, remove turbo and manifold then remove engine. Or wait until spring to take the running car apart
Why remove the turbo and manifold?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Former Moderator

I wouldn't want to bang up the pretty yellow paint.

You know the turbo layout better than me I'm just going off the pictures. If you can pull the engine straight up off the mounts and not have the turbo or manifold/wastegate hit anything go for it.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Sep 5 2006, 08:36 PM

Well, I ordered my 4 post car lift today. Should have it in about 2 weeks. Will your bottom out method work with a 4 post lift?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:12 PM

No, it will not...you need a 2 post. The subframe will hit the lift unless you have one that's got a gigantic amount of space in between.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Former Moderator

Do you have a pic of the lift?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Question