S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

engine management

Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ agreed... with both ur post.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my AEM EMS for $750, but a piggyback is much cheaper
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

how about some more info on your setup and goals?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by PsykotiK,Feb 17 2009, 09:26 PM
im going to tell u this.. u get what u paid for.. dont cheap out on the type of EMS u use cause a little extra could help you out instead of having a cheap one blow your shit up
They are necessary for a particular level of build and application, understanding what you need and what you are getting is key. There is allot of features on a full stand alone that may never even be needed in the tuning process on a lesser set up. Paying for them is foolish if they are not required for your build goal. Scaring people into thinking they need a full 100% system wipe to run an effective and reliable fi set up is just ignorant.

For example, I see time and time again guys selling or with a minimal 300whp SC kit with big 750cc injectors and a full stand alone ems. I think to myself what are these guy thinking? I guess they got more money then time for understanding what the hell they actually are doing. My buddy just bought a used one, he's got a CT kit making 5 psi with a fmic, 675 injectors and a EMS. He's making 282whp. This guy he bought it from invested over 9k in this kit to sell it for $3200 to my buddy. Its tragic. I'm thinking these guys doing this are listening to guys like you scarring them into thinking they are going to blow their shit up if they don't invest in what the world has available to them. crazy man, just knock it off!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Just an FYI. If your going FI please be sure to have an extra couple grand on tap. Things WILL come up.

E manage Ultimate will work but after you buy the boomslag (sp?) harness you pretty much pay close to the cost of a used AEM EMS.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Feb 17 2009, 09:47 PM
They are necessary for a particular level of build and application, understanding what you need and what you are getting is key. There is allot of features on a full stand alone that may never even be needed in the tuning process on a lesser set up. Paying for them is foolish if they are not required for your build goal. Scaring people into thinking they need a full 100% system wipe to run an effective and reliable fi set up is just ignorant.

For example, I see time and time again guys selling or with a minimal 300whp SC kit with big 750cc injectors and a full stand alone ems. I think to myself what are these guy thinking? I guess they got more money then time for understanding what the hell they actually are doing. My buddy just bought a used one, he's got a CT kit making 5 psi with a fmic, 675 injectors and a EMS. He's making 282whp. This guy he bought it from invested over 9k in this kit to sell it for $3200 to my buddy. Its tragic. I'm thinking these guys doing this are listening to guys like you scarring them into thinking they are going to blow their shit up if they don't invest in what the world has available to them. crazy man, just knock it off!
im not saying they're crap, but im saying i trust only certain ems especially coming from an rsx.. i like to deal with hondata.. yes on the pricey side, but i like to have full control without worries if my shit will fail or not.. yes its part of the tune.. i know that for sure.. but i have seen a bunch of guys with the greddy emanage and get completely screwed cause it fails and they detonate their motor
Old 02-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned

^ whose cars failed because of a emanage?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM

I don't prefer the emanage, the software sucks compared to hondata or aem plus the fact that it's a piggy back. the hondata is kinda a piggyback too in the sense that there's two ECU's working together but the two ECU's are hardwired together so it's not really the same. plus there's only one fuel and timing map, not one being modified by the other.

but regardless of your preference (since that's mostly the reason for what you run) the emanage gives one more point of failure than compared to the other options. it's still a quality product so I doubt it would just blow something up randomly but if you're at full boost and it loses control of the timing due to a bad connection or something, all of a sudden you're back to the factory timing and I could definitely see you doing some motor damage before you have a change to know something is wrong.

with the AEM or hondata that scenario could never happen. if you did have a failure for some reason more than likely the motor would just shut down.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

^^^ that was the main reasoning for my tuner to stay away from emanage in my situation. Though I am still using a piggyback which I will agree at my build level is not 100% ideal, the FIC proccesing speed is faster then that of the Greddy emanage line up and the peramiter mapping is much the same as the full stand alone AEM version so its ease of peramiter navigation is more strat forward. INMO its just the better between the two, unfortunelty it has developed a bad rep early on so people have steered away from it, and in turn not allot of tuners have had the opertunity to tune with it on the s2000 spicifically, so when someone has had it tuned with the S, thier success rate seems to be about 50/50, but thats the tuners in-experience, it has been used on many other aplications succesfully. My understanding is much of the BMW m3 comunity utilizes the FIC here locally in WA. Anyway i'm going to give it a go this saturday for my 10psi CTAC s2000. going for 350whp.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM

the FIC's software is a ton better than the emanage, plus it manipulates the stock ECU differently than the emanage that's supposedly better / more reliable. AEM explained it on their site.

Quick Reply: engine management