S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

E85 and Winter Stroage

Old 11-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
I'm just going to start mine everyday and let it run for a little over the winter, and if its nice out i'll just drive it
If I could do that it might be an option but unfortunatelty its not. You will also notice that the colder it gets, the harder the car is to start with E85. Most likely it maybe E70 in your tank so be careful boosting around in the winter. With your power level you are going to have to turn the boost way down anyway just for traction .
Old 11-26-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Originally Posted by tony1' timestamp='1321929287' post='21176131
You SHOULD NOT leave E85 in a tank over the winter. Ethanol is hygroscopic and will collect water when it's not stored in a sealed metal container. With the water in the fuel anything in the fuel system that CAN rust, WILL rust. It is pretty likely to cause problems if you don't maintain it properly. Do yourself a favor and drain the ethanol out and run it for a couple minutes on gas before putting it away for the winter (or any prolonged periods for that matter).
What exactly could rust? I can't think of anything in the fuel system that could. I have the FB dual pump setup and the fuel lines are all plastic inner lined hoses, the fittings are all aluminum, the fuel rail is aluminum, the hanger is aluminum, the factory parts that go on the hanger and sit in the tank I believe are stainless along with the Walbro pumps, the FPR is aluminum with stainless internal parts, the ID2000 injectors are aluminum/plastic with stainless parts internally I believe and I'm pretty sure the fuel tank is stainless. I can't for the life of me think of anything that will rust......
Its a common misconception that aluminum does not rust. It does rust! Not like the brown iron oxide most people see but the dingy aluminum oxide that coats aluminum when exposed to oxygen.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

So, all those anodized aluminum fittings and parts in my fuel system are going to "rust/corrode"? I don't think so....There is nothing on my fuel system that is going to "rust/corrode" that I am aware of. As a matter of fact, I highly doubt there is anything even on a stock fuel system that will rust/corrode from e85. From what I have heard, all cars today are capable of running e85 from the factory and the OEM manufacturer has built the system to withstand e85 and even sitting for a few months at a time. Do you not think that some brand new cars at the dealership sit with e85 in them for months (that's 4-5) at a time?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well isnt the anodizing like a barrier from the elements, i think hes talking about more of bare aluminum
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
So, all those anodized aluminum fittings and parts in my fuel system are going to "rust/corrode"? I don't think so....There is nothing on my fuel system that is going to "rust/corrode" that I am aware of. As a matter of fact, I highly doubt there is anything even on a stock fuel system that will rust/corrode from e85. From what I have heard, all cars today are capable of running e85 from the factory and the OEM manufacturer has built the system to withstand e85 and even sitting for a few months at a time. Do you not think that some brand new cars at the dealership sit with e85 in them for months (that's 4-5) at a time?
No, I dont think new cars sit with E85 in the tank for months at a time. They likely sit with pump gas if they will sit for extended periods of time when new from a dealer. E85 is an option for new cars to run if the consumer so chooses, and they likely see a blended mix for the most part once they leave the lot. I agree that for a few weeks its probably fine, maybe even a month or so. Anodized parts are protected, bare aluminum is not.

I am just going with what LJ recommended I do with E85 if car will be stored for 4-5 months and not run at all. He has seen first hand what E85 can do to injectors if let sit for months at a time and he said its good practice to drain the E85 from the tank and run pump gas...Tony form T1 Racing says the same thing.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard e85 eats stuff. And our cars weren't designed for it. That being said its one to drive with it. But sitting extended periods of time can be bad. Hell my car sits two weeks with pump gas and I worry lol.

If possible strt it every week or two and let it warm up. If I had to deal with winter id do that.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are over thinking it. I have less than 1/4 tank of e85 sitting in the tank. Car hasn't been started since first week of sept. Doubt I will touch the car till May. I will take the injectors out and let LJ clean them. Drain the old e85. PUt in fresh stuff. And rip away lol. Plenty of others have stored on e85 and it gets below 0 here frequently. In the summer my car sits a month at a time without getting touched.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My ID 2000s seized after sitting with E85 in them after prolonged storage. Those injectors are a little finicky, but just FYI.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to explain this stuff in another thread but got totally ignored, even after having 10 years of E85 experience.
We actually have high milage E85 cars in our shop every day and it´s very easy to see the damage it does.
I love this fuel and will keep using it but will use gas sometimes and definitely store it on gas.
As I said in the other thread, the "Redline alcohol fuel lubricant" works great when it comes to lubricate the fuel syestem and valve parts when you use the car but not for storing.

Guess it´s easier to just ignore this and then complain about bad pumps, injectors and other parts.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^Any pics of some damage.

I am considering going E85 and upgrading my setup to run more boost. Noone seems to have any evidence of damage.

Quick Reply: E85 and Winter Stroage