S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

E85 and Winter Stroage

Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
You should be fine with just filling the tank with e85 and maybe even putting in the stabil ethanol stuff when you store it. I had 3/4 of a tank of e85 last winter when I stored mine and no stabil and no problems when I brought it out in the spring. I did start it about once a month and drove it around the neighborhood for 1/2 hr each time though.
There are a lot of variables when it comes to ethanol. Climate, tank, how long it sits, etc. It's easy enough to drain or run the ethanol out. Put 93 in. And store. I've seen many issues from cars "stored" with ethanol. It works for you especially being you start and drive the car once a month but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 AM

Agree, much better for the parts, swap to gas.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B5254T4

LJ mentioned to me that he had seen injectors not operate after extended storage with e85. Starting up every month would certainly help I would think. I usually dont do that in the winter though.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by s2000442
Originally Posted by B5254T4' timestamp='1321026846' post='21148396
LJ mentioned to me that he had seen injectors not operate after extended storage with e85. Starting up every month would certainly help I would think. I usually dont do that in the winter though.
This is correct. We give all of our customers a post tuning guideline to follow after a build and/or tuning. In this includes attempting to start the car at least once a month and let it get to operating temperature. Also sending their injectors in to be serviced once a year. We just had a customer not follow this. He ended up having to replace two of his fuel injectors. It was a pain as we had to flow match them. Luckily we had quite a few sets.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fortunately don't have to worry about winter storage but the car doesn't get driven often. Any type of fuel stabalizer that can ge used? I have stabil but it states ethanol mixes? I'm assuming e85 falls under this category?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 AM

http://www.lucasoil.com/articlelist1...uelConditioner

I've not used it. But. A couple of our customers use it. I can't give personal feedback on it, yet.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM

You SHOULD NOT leave E85 in a tank over the winter. Ethanol is hygroscopic and will collect water when it's not stored in a sealed metal container. With the water in the fuel anything in the fuel system that CAN rust, WILL rust. It is pretty likely to cause problems if you don't maintain it properly. Do yourself a favor and drain the ethanol out and run it for a couple minutes on gas before putting it away for the winter (or any prolonged periods for that matter).
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1
You SHOULD NOT leave E85 in a tank over the winter. Ethanol is hygroscopic and will collect water when it's not stored in a sealed metal container. With the water in the fuel anything in the fuel system that CAN rust, WILL rust. It is pretty likely to cause problems if you don't maintain it properly. Do yourself a favor and drain the ethanol out and run it for a couple minutes on gas before putting it away for the winter (or any prolonged periods for that matter).
What exactly could rust? I can't think of anything in the fuel system that could. I have the FB dual pump setup and the fuel lines are all plastic inner lined hoses, the fittings are all aluminum, the fuel rail is aluminum, the hanger is aluminum, the factory parts that go on the hanger and sit in the tank I believe are stainless along with the Walbro pumps, the FPR is aluminum with stainless internal parts, the ID2000 injectors are aluminum/plastic with stainless parts internally I believe and I'm pretty sure the fuel tank is stainless. I can't for the life of me think of anything that will rust......
Old 11-25-2011, 04:09 PM

I'm just going to start mine everyday and let it run for a little over the winter, and if its nice out i'll just drive it

Quick Reply: E85 and Winter Stroage