S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

DSport Mag: Honda S2000 Forced Induction Shootout

Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, I answered to my complete satisfaction. my reasons are concise but not vague. do your own research to find the system that best suits your own driving and maintenance requirements!

btw, I probably sound like a billboard for SoS, but I have never met Chris. I walked into his shop a few years ago, I was very impressed with the organization. his employees said I should wait around for him to come back, but I didnt have time. (at the time I believe he was road testing some version of what he sells today) I asked questions about S2000's and their involvement with NSX's. long story short, they told me I should come here to s2ki and read the forums, as most of the info here was very good.

so, I am not an expert. but thanks to many of you, I know much more now than I did then.

backing up, I really wanted to get an american muscle car that was popular when I was a kid. prices for these behemoths have skyrocketed, rendering them useless for everyday driving or the track.
the S2000 however is a fraction of the price, and more capable in many ways. so thats why I'm here.

My name came from playing blackjack at caesars palace. I was whipping the house one night, and someone started calling me that. I liked it and kept it. (brutus was credited with killing julius caesar) anyway, I'm old and not a toughguy !

Thanks for everything fellas this is an excellent resource for those interested in everything S2000!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just started reading up on the roots type SOT MP62 and am now wondering why it wasn't in the comparison/why centrifugal is more popular...
Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brutus,Aug 1 2009, 08:08 AM
I ruled turbos out of my decision long ago. sure you get the good old seat of the pants feel, but thats not what I was looking for. heat, reliability, smooth delivery, and expandability are the factors that won the day.
this will be a setup for me that I could never afford when I was young.
You can get smoother power delivery from turbo and speed-based or gear-based boost tuning .... plus you get a better power delivery since there is actually low or mid power to deliver

Heat? Makes you wonder how the many turbo'd WRX, Evo, etc. track cars do so well . . .

edit: those turbo rally cars are constantly bursting into flames
Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Here is some heat for ya

HEAT
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris I'm sorry if this seems like I'm taking away some glory here but I'm not quite sure you would have won in the first place. You were granted 10 points based on the dyno run. Those numbers look like they were a reflection of 13psi run and not 9psi. Can you clarify your numbers at 9psi? Was your car also the only one with a complete stand alone? I'm completely unbiased here, don't own either the Kraftwerks or the SOS. I'm currently researching both systems. I would've liked to have seen both systems compared at moderate boost say 8-9 psi and then 12-14 if supported.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Just an aside for fellow Canadians...seems it takes a tad longer for issues to get here from the US. I just snagged a copy of the mag yesterday at my local Safeway.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM

Chris could answer my questions? They are posted two posts up.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Cool

Hey guys,

We want to first congratulate Chris and his team from SoS for winning the challenge. We also want to thank DSPORT Magazine for allowing us to showcase our product.

After reading through this thread, and hearing everyones' comments, I wanted to provide some of our input on the DSPORT S2000 Challenge.

The first thing I'd like to say is that the challenge was fun, but very poorly organized. The idea of the challenge was great as we've always wanted to see how our turbo kit stacked up against the competition in a (somewhat) controlled, and unbiased environment. The lack of clarity and rules really made things difficult, and ultimately, a bit unfair. I hammered the guys over at DSPORT for weeks for more information because there simply was none available. Just vague emails back and forth. We didn't even receive an official document for the challenge until approximately 3 weeks prior to the event. Also remember that we had to transport our car from Canada so the car needed to leave here in 2 weeks. We wanted to compete, but we also wanted to be fair. Our most obvious concern was just how much boost to come down to California with. When asked about boost pressure, this was the response we received from DSPORT:

"I am pretty sure all the competitors will be running about 7-8 psi of boost pressure.

Robert Choo"

Now, Robert did mention to me that we could bring down any amount of power as long as it's offered from our company. However, we'd be judged based on such factors as boost pressure, and total cost of mods on car (including labor). We already knew that our kit was capable of 500whp on pump gas with the addition of no more than $250 worth of mods, and a turn of the boost controller. But, that just wouldn't have been fair for everyone else we thought would be running 7-8psi.

Like everyone, we came to win the event. Our strategy was to come with the most cost effective setup available. We were told we'd be docked points for mods like headers (for SC kits), catback exhausts, etc. We were also told:

"Day one and two is likely to cover dyno testing and videoing of driveability, fuel efficiency, sound testing"

What we put together was essentially, our S2000 Turbo Kit running @ 8psi, bolted up to a completely stock AP2. We didn't bother to upgrade our exhaust either since we knew our kit could push out good numbers @ 8psi on the OEM catalytic and catback. It'd be, in essence, a sleeper. And a cost effective one at that.

Before the car left for California it made 296 whp, and 196 wtq (dyno chart HERE. The tune was for 91 octane. So we were very pleased to see that it put 308 whp in California. Keep in mind, that we were not able to tweak any aspects of the tune. The cars were out of our hands and dyno'd as-is. I can bet that most of the competitors were pretty shocked to read that Greddy was allowed to return to the dyno a week after we had all gone home. We would've loved an opportunity like that. Hell, given a second chance we'd of come down with something a little more competitive!

I won't comment on anything else though as it's more or less moot. The event was marred by a lot inconsistencies. There are even several inconsistencies in the magazine article itself.

All in all though, it was fun times. It's always nice to get out to the west coast. We also got to get together with some of the industry's best people.

Hopefully, there'll be another F/I challenge in the future that is far better organized. That way we can hopefully have a true apples to apples comparison.

Darryl
Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=720947
Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe u should pay Dsport a little $$ under...

J/K

Quick Reply: DSport Mag: Honda S2000 Forced Induction Shootout