S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Debating On A Turbo ...

Old 07-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating On A Turbo ...

Hi

Just recently I have been looking into turbos and am pretty sure I have decided on the kit I wanted (wont say which one because thats an entire other controversy -keep the flames out)
Everything seems set, but one thing keeps worrying me...
How long can it last without issues?
Through the searches all I have heard "it's all in the tune" and "you will be fine if its tuned correctly"
But say Im running around 7 pounds of boost and 320whp(on an AEM EMS), even with a good tune, will it be reliable? Im assuming it will be a large step down from how reliable it is stock, but will I atleast get 30,000 miles out of the motor on low boost(the latter)? In fact, has anyone even had a chance to get 30,000 miles out of a turbo'd motor since these kits have been released relatively recently?

On another note, Please delete this thread if this is going to cause problems, I really should be talking to the seller of the turbo kit about this but will probably get BS for a sale. I just do not want to start fights.
Any information or insight would be great.
Thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 01:03 AM

Check the Forced Induction FAQ. Apparently a number of people have been asking the same questions, and the FAQ has recently been updated to provide some answers.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I don't think anyone has 30K on a turbo car. Tinker 219 has around 10k, otherwise most of the turbo cars just haven't had that many miles n them.

There have been plenty of high milage SC cars, with well over 30K on them, and roughly the same peak power level.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:34 AM

I made 30,000 with no trouble at all The engine was taken appart at that point for research and everything was just fine. Good tuning is the key and keep your boost goals reasonable. 7 PSI and 300 rwhp (180 lb/ft) is fine as long as you keep a close eye on your engine - check your oil, study your logs, periodic re-tuning etc.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:10 AM

Turbocharges don't blow up cars, subpar components, poor installation and tuning (or lack thereof) does. I'd throw away or replace half the components on most of the off the shelf kits available right now. Hands down they just aren't as well developed/engineered as the Comptech or Vortech kits. Don't expect to bolt it on and drive away. I know guys that have been boosted for 75,000+ miles with no issues... on stock internals no less... in a Civic. People seem to think that it's impossible to do with a S2000 due to the bad luck/experiences of a couple members. It can be done on any car, you just have to know what to expect and how to do it. Sometimes I think some of these guys just don't have a clue what they're getting into when it comes to F/I, nitrous, and sometimes cars in general.

What are the details on the "kit"?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:21 AM

I got to agree with RZFD. Kits are well kits unless you spend the money. By money I mean from a place that fabricates and knows what they are doing. Then once that is out of the way and you have good components, seals, lines, and the other good stuff it all works down to the tune. I don't think anyone has mentioned too often but the tune is in reference to how much fuel and how much timing is used during boost. Not enough (or too little) of either fuel or timing can be a big problem. Detonation being the biggest problem faced with FI. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nearly 11k miles on my car now, two track days(one yesturday).
My biggest problem yesturday was overheating. I beat on the car for a whole lap with coolant temps at or exceeding 270 degrees and the car still runs excellent. The AEM EMS keeps things safe when things get that hot, something an FMU or even Emanage(that Im aware of) will not do.
Car is down for the week while I wait for a braking system, as that was the other thing that suffered.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:02 AM

I am looking into the Lovefab kit the the most because of the EMS and reccomendations, that and how well they have been answering my questions inspires a bit of confidence.
Here are the components RZFD:
"""""GT30R as the base turbo(GT30/71R pictured);
Mini-me manifold;
3" downpipe, recirculated wastegate dump tube;
TiAL 44mm wastegate;
TiAL 50mm Blow-off valve;
NEW! Precision 650hp intercooler, standard, upgrades beyond this are available;
2.5" Aluminum IC piping;
High quality 4 ply silicon couplers, T-bolt clamps;
AEM EMS Plug and Play Standalone management;
780cc injectors;
Walbro 255lph fuel pump;
Fast-turbo oil feed/return, coolant feed/return lines""""""
So basically, a turbo car tuned properly without too much pressure on stock internals, and a correct installation "wont have a problem"(quoting to be lenient on the use of the phrase)?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:24 AM

Awesome, if I don't build my own kit I'd definately go with the Lovefab. Are you planning on installing it yourself or do you have a local shop that you trust to install/tune it for you?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:15 AM

I plan on taking the long journey for them to install it - I would think they would be able to install and tune their own kit the best - plus they give a really good deal on installation. Unfortunately it will be atleast a month until I can have this done because I have to sort things out with school still. In the mean time, I am just trying to figure out the best thing to do.
Oh and tinker, what would the best way to solve overheating issues be? Run it slightly richer or get a bigger radiator or something?

Quick Reply: Debating On A Turbo ...