S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Cylinder head

Old 09-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Just FYI hope your not street tuning it with the stock "wideband" it's only accurate for NA tuning, anything richer then 12 or so it goes straight to 10.

Don't trust it, don't trust it, don't trust it.

Get it dyno'd then u will be able to compare with tuners wideband.
don't use the stock wideband for FI tuning lol can't say it enough.
Should of asked from the start what ur using. But it's torn apart so should be good.
Stock wideband? Not sure I understand what your implying there, as there is no wideband accessible to monitor stock ( at least on the 00-05 cable cars) But that aside, a solid stand alone wideband is an excellent way to tune the car, its much more accurate then the tail sniffer at the dyno. All ive done is rely on my AEM wideband to street tune my FI and NA set ups over the last 12 years owning this car. In my experience, every dyno sniffer that is properly functioning and getting a consistent read at our tail pipe( which doesnt always happen) they read .5 leaner then actual. The actual being the 02 sensor from the wideband up at the Test pipe or right after the merge collector if no TP, which is the proper accurate reading location for tuning the engine. The good tuners that want a solid and accurate reading typically will not use their sniffer at all, but remove your wideband sensor and put in theirs to effectively duplicate your own on board wideband set up.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by Charper732' timestamp='1472144589' post='24047583
14.7 while cruising is lean. Personally, i would go no leaner than mid 13s..your plugs are super white.
With gas, 14.7 while cruising is ideal in closed loop. Mid/ low 13's is what some may see at WOT on a NA engine, for boost it ranges from 11.6-12.2 pending application. It is very difficult to rely on spark plugs to tell exactly if the engine is lean or rich because if it is in closed loop for sometime, the rich or lean "condition is compensated for... best/simplest way to know is an appropriately installed wideband
For the best engine efficiency you should follow suit on how OEM cars are tuned from the factory, which is 14.7 at idle and partial throttle up to a point. On the S2000 we see 14.7 afr up to about 25% throttle opening and light load up to -5 to -6 vacuum, at which point from there to 0 vac OEM adds fuel to target about 13.5afr. This in my experience offers the best performance and economy on a boosted s2k or not. From there add fuel appropriately for your set up once in boost.

The pics above look very good. I dont see any white peppering or blistering from leaning/hot spots or detonation from running too lean. I see very much a tune that i described above, which is a stoich/14.7 idle and partial throttle tune with good amount of fueling under load/boost based on the dark deposits. This is probably as close to a proper textbook tuned boosted s2k engine there is. Its a shame its being pulled apart and modified with some risk of that changing. But some people just cant leave there shit alone. I can certainly relate

The only thing I would suggest on your next tune, is to really make sure the tuner spends a proper amount of time tuning the fuel from the -5 to boost transition point, so your not either running too lean or too rich there. Being turbo you have some variable with boost lag and throttle/load positions, so it requires special attention over just a WOT or idle tune.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The flashpro users can, No disagrees on the latter, couldn't say it better myself. But a good dyno tuner knows all that and is compensating for the difference with the sniffer and if /usually has another wb in place in proper area to also go off. I'n my exact position tho. I'm saying my tuner pulled plugs just to make sure, because primary oem O2 was reading 10's up top in boost and sniffer was reading good and that was all we had. And after reading HONDATAs research and also seeing they implemented a AF correction value in their software; I don't believe the primary oem O2 sensor is sufficient to shoot from the hip on especially with a FI application, that is all.

I agree his head looks fine, and wanted to make sure he had "extra" readings confirming AF's which is the OP topic.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks