S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

CTSC aftercooler pump question

Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanSerino,May 24 2010, 03:25 PM

I'm going to pull the bumper off tomorrow and mess with it, cause I have a bad connection right now anyways. It's weird because it ran continuous while it was not hooked up to the coolant system. I should try that bucket method. There was a very slight kink in one of my hoses, maybe that's the reason for the pulsing behavior.

It also could just be the way the Bosch functions, who knows. I don't mind the pulsing, as I did notice the coolant was flowing and the aftercooler was much, much cooler than usual; I just don't want the pump to burn out.
Should be continuous. A kinked hose I would think can cause the pulsing. If you think about the extra resistance that is putting on the pump, then pressure releases and builds back up again, creating a pulse. The pump is struggling to circulate/push through the kink in the hose. I could not rout the lines without getting kinks, so I got the spring reinforcements that slip over the hose to keep from kinking when making bends, they really work, I suggest you get some at your local parts store.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,May 24 2010, 08:50 PM
Should be continuous. A kinked hose I would think can cause the pulsing. If you think about the extra resistance that is putting on the pump, then pressure releases and builds back up again, creating a pulse. The pump is struggling to circulate/push through the kink in the hose. I could not rout the lines without getting kinks, so I got the spring reinforcements that slip over the hose to keep from kinking when making bends, they really work, I suggest you get some at your local parts store.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to take the pump off today (I have a loose wire anyways, at least I hope that's all it is) and I'm going to try running the pump in a bucket of water and see if I get the same "pulse" or a continuous flow. And I'll swing by my parts/hardware store and find some of that spring reinforced tubing, or I was even thinking of finding a silicone or metal 90 degree bend to use.

If I get the same "pulse" in the bucket of water, then either my relay is the problem (though it's a standard, almost identical relay that Comptech supplied) or my pump is just like that. I'm also going to remove the relay and hook the pump up directly to power to test if I get this pulse or not.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little update, just in case anyone runs in to this problem in the future.

I got my Bosch aftercooler pump running 100% yesterday.

I tested the pump with it hooked right up to the battery, and it was completely different than the "pulsing" that I had seen. It moves A LOT of water, and it flows continuously.

I was using a relay (but I really don't understand why this relay is necessary) and the relay was not giving it enough power or something so it was pulsing. I removed the relay and have it wired completely independent from the air pump feed. It is now getting power only from the ignition terminal on the fusebox in the car. It starts up and runs no problem every time the key is turned to ignition. The air pump still kicks on on cold starts, no CEL or anything. I wired a 20amp fuse in the wire between the fuse box and the pump, just in case.

So all is well. Really not sure the point of the relay, but wiring it the way I did should never cause any problems at all, and is much more sensible than using the relay.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Yeah I dont think I have a relay either. Pump runs in the acc key position. Glad you got it worked out.