S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Crank pulley torquing (HKS kit install)

Old 10-07-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank pulley torquing (HKS kit install)

Just wanted to ask you Supercharged Veterans.

I am in the process of installing my HKS gt kit 15 psi
I had slight trouble removing the stock harmonic balancer to install the blower crank pulley.
Now its time to install the blower pulley I added 2 drops of blue thread lock to the bolt. Torqued it down to a guesstimate of 150 ft lbs +

My buddy held the crank pulley tool on a breaker bar against the car, while myself tightening with another breaker bar and pipe wondering if you guys feel that is enough.... Ive heard horror stories of the pulley getting loose and pretty much destroying the crank.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you rent a torque wrench and be sure it's at the proper torque? Of course now that the thread lock has set, you won't get a proper reading without removing the bolt and cleaning it up.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Can you rent a torque wrench and be sure it's at the proper torque? Of course now that the thread lock has set, you won't get a proper reading without removing the bolt and cleaning it up.
I have 4 different size torque wrenches none of them fit with the cross member being so close. and the one that does only reads to 100ft lbs. and is a 3/8 drive which was 90$ and I don't want to snap it.

HKS manual is all in Japanese and my conversion says 84 ft lbs, Not sure if i should trust that because I feel factory was torqued too about 400...
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM

Oem is torqued crazy. Just trying to get it to the oem torque spec will cost you some serious effort.
If you don't have a torquewrench that reads this level of ft lbs, just give it everything you got and more. I promiss you the bolt won't snap off.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 PM

Very true, you won't snap the bolt. Iirc factory spec is 180 ft lb. Strange that hks would list it much lower.

Can you post a pic of how their drive pulley is installed?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jaspah
Oem is torqued crazy. Just trying to get it to the oem torque spec will cost you some serious effort.
If you don't have a torquewrench that reads this level of ft lbs, just give it everything you got and more. I promiss you the bolt won't snap off.
Yeah thats exactly what i did with out everything slipping. with the thread lock i dont feel it will move or at least i hope not but at 9k rpms who knows.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Very true, you won't snap the bolt. Iirc factory spec is 180 ft lb. Strange that hks would list it much lower.

Can you post a pic of how their drive pulley is installed?
yeah i can this weekend. It looks identical to SOS and COMPTECH they give you another pulley so you don't have to mess up the stock.
I feel its TIGHT so does my buddy who was there thats a mechanic and even more it has thread lock. But i get paranoid.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry about it. It shouldnt be able to come off. The steering rack is in the way
Old 10-07-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I borrowed a monster torque wrench from my local Auto Zone. They have a free tool loaner program.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, if you're doing this type of job, you really should have the tools available.

Just from memory, I think the spec was 196 lb-ft. Plenty of torque wrenches will do that for under $100. Having this part not done right is going to add to the risk. It's an FI install, and I wouldn't shortcut it.

I found the crank pulley to be pretty easy myself. It came right off with a jackstand and breaker bar, and I put it back on with a breaker bar and torque wrench.

Quick Reply: Crank pulley torquing (HKS kit install)