S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Crank Case Venting Problems

Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crank Case Venting Problems

I have a problem with pressure in my crank case. Everytime after a good spirited ride I pop my hood and my dip stick is shot out of its spot and there is some oil on the intake manifold that has spewed out of the hole where the dip stock is. My only conclussion is that my crank case is getting pressurized.

My set-up is that I have the stock hose connected from the manifold threw the check valve in the middle whole on the valve cover. For the hole in the front of the valve cover I have that run around to a catch can and from there to my 4 inch intake pipe Before the turbo inlet but after the Filter. My thought with this is that I would be just fine because the stock check valve would close under boost and then when boosting the front hose would be pulling a stedy vacum from the inlet threw the catch can that I would be just fine. But somehow I am still getting alot of pressure. Enough to pop off my dip stick and spit oil out.

I have check the stock check valve and it seems to be working great and holds very well. My other set up pulling from the intake side of the turbo one would think would produce quite a vacum but I guess not.

Does anyone have any suggestions or idea's that worked better for them?

Here is another oppsurvation. I have had the catch can installed now for 6+ months and it has barley collected non if any oil. Making me think the vacum there is non at if any. There is no way for boost to be created on the intake side of the turbo just only vacum ya? And this has to be sucking a good amount of air so where is the oil? maybe a leak in the catch can? I checked it and it seemed tight. Any suggestion?

What set-ups are you guys running that are diffrent? Any idea's to the delema?

J. R.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had mine going straight from my valve cover to the turbo intake pipe and never a problem. Maybe because of the catch can, there isn't enough suction being applied to the crank ventilation. Try removing the catch can and just run the line to the turbo inlet from the valve cover and see what happens.
Let us know if this works.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps the catch can is a restriction, but I would also suggest checking the PCV. It should bleed pressure off to the manifold when it's in vacuum and stop pressure going to the valve cover under boost.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:26 PM

Going to try both of those....thanks, ANy other idea's?

J. R.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself a KrankVent and you won't have anyproblems again.

http://www.et-performance.com/krank_vents.html
Old 03-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Catch cans on the front breather rarely collect any oil. It's the JDM way and not very effective. The front breather fitting is to let air into the crankcase that is being pulling out through the PCV valve. For the catch can to function as an oil seperator it needs to be installed in the PCV line, and be baffled.

The PCV valve was never designed to seal under boost, and may be blown open under boost.

Fperra's krankvents are designed to seal under boost.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:36 PM

Well,

Fperra that is a hell of alot of money for some check valves. I might be able to come up with a better solution as I fixed 5 of the check valves in my brother 94 RX7. Macmasters sells check valves that are amazing. The rx7 guys love em and have had alot of success with em. Plus they ARE NOT $130 BUCS! OOOO its polished, whatever, those guys are making a KILLING. But good for them. Someone has to get rich right?

NOW,

As for a temp fix would it be possible for me to unhook the pcv valve and hose from the intake manifold and just leave that open the the atmosphere and just have the front breather hooked up to pull vacum? Would that work as a temp solution?

Let me know

J. R.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Former Moderator

which one of those Krank vents would be best for a Vortech S2K? Ive had this problem with the dip stick popping both when i was NA and SC'd. Honda tried a bunch of stuff and never really got it fixed...however mine doesnt spill oil...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Former Sponsor

After raising boost to 14lb on SC, I also have issue with oil dip stick popping.
But I do not have oil catch can.

I guess I have to check PCV valve.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:55 AM

[QUOTE=flexer,Mar 28 2006, 01:36 AM] Well,

Fperra that is a hell of alot of money for some check valves.

Quick Reply: Crank Case Venting Problems