S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

coolant over flow

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant over flow

so i took my car out today on my lunch break to show a kid i work with the beast. i did a few pulls down the side road just maxing out 2nd and 3rd(neiborhod streets lol) and when i pull back in and turn the car off i see coolant coming from under the car, im like shit wtf just happened. i open the hood and its just coming from the over flow can. could this just be bc its so hot out or u guys think its more serious than that. i didnt see any coolant in the oil but im still kinda scared. im gonaa take it really easy driving home and hopefully find the problem when i get home. its like 95 degrees today and humid as all hell. anyone have any insight on this?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 AM

How did it get out of the overflow? That thing is screwed on pretty good...

When you blow a HG, the pressure the system tends to rise, making the reservoir much fuller than usual...

Make sure the coolant level is OK when the car is cold tomorrow morning...

Never heard of this happening before....

John
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Agreed, check for headgasket issues.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:08 AM

Did you modifry ECT or coolant temp gauge show your engine running hot? If the engine wasnt hot then there is only one thing that can cause that to happen and thats pressure in your coolant system. Pressure is caused by a leaky HG or possible air in your system. Good luck man, dont want it to be anything serious.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM

the over flow is full, and hour after the car has been off. i dont have the ect fix but i have it set up so my check engine light will come on if its overheating. i hope i didnt blow my hg. i did rev out to like 8500 on one pull.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the coolant overflow bottle and pour out the coolant into a clear bowl or something similar. inspect the liquid for traces of dirt/oil/etc.

if you did blow your gasket its probably still early on - no worries. a replaced head gasket is better than an overheated engine!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 AM

i inspected the coolant from the over flow. def some dirt in there but no oil. im gonna really baby it home, then we will see what really going on. thanks for the quick replys guys, i love this forum
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head gasket.

Also, last I checked my reservoir it has an overflow thing on the top so if it fills up the coolant can escape... I'll check it later, I'm getting older and my memory isn't what it used to be.

If you are using a thicker head gasket it'll probably go sooner or later. Much better than the alternative though.

I don't know if it's possible but the head might have lifted and introduced an air bubble in the cooling system. Of course if it did you probably need a new gasket.

The overflow bottle will stay full until the car is running and pulls it back in.

Look for oil or coolant around the head when you get home, if you don't see any let the car cool off for a couple hours. Take the radiator cap off and start your car and let it idle. Keep an eye on it, you'll see if there is an air bubble in there(fluid level will take a sudden drop). Should take 10-20 minutes to work out an air pocket if there is one.

Keep some coolant on hand in case you need to add some. Also keep a hose handy. If there is an air bubble it can cause gurgles and splashes and coolant is NOT good for paint.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM

same thing happend to me, i replaced the reservior from honda and did the same thing, i noticed the top where it screws on warped on both reserviors. i am also not using honda coolant but im ordering a mishimoto radiator today after work and flushing the system when i put it in and going to use honda coolant. i suspect there is an air bubble somewhere tho and it only leaks if its super hot from revving out the engine when im racing people and pushing it hard.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM

oh and my headgasket is also fine, just did an oil change and that looked good and the coolant has no oil in it either. i havent done this yet but to bleed the system for air bubbles add colant then run the car until it hits operating temperature and then let it cool down, then add more if needed and repeat the process for a total of 3 times and it should be good to go.

Quick Reply: coolant over flow