S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

concerned about my supercharger

Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. Just talked to Paxton - they are currently backed up three weeks! Ouch. $380 for a minor rebuild of bearings and seals.

Guess I'm going to be NA for a little longer now....
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Deception
Same thing happened to my SOS kit on the way home from my tuning appointment 2 weeks ago. I started to hear this weird noise when I reved to 4k RPM's. I pulled over immediately & saw the bolt had come off the pulley. SOS sent me a new bolt & key way ASAP (thanks Chris) ...

I had used thread locker originally too, but did not tighten it while on the car with belt holding it in place. Also I noticed with the new key way it was a much tighter fit, no play in the pulley at all. With my original key way I could turn the pulley ever so slightly back and forth, Im sure that was the problem & it broke from the impact eventually.

All in all everything ended up being fine , supercharger sounds the same as when I originally installed it. Still makes good boost.

I think my belt may have gotten stretched a little more because of what happened though, not that worried though since I'm putting on a 13psi pulley & matching belt in a few weeks.

same thing happend to me. i was crusing down and i felt the car lose power. i stopped and checked the hood. the pulley bolt fell off and shredded the belt and heatcover on top the hood. i couldnt find the bolt but i did find the key. it was by the fusebox and it was ok. the bolt had threadlocker and stuff but i guess i didnt tighten it when the belt was on. i had to overnight a bolt and key from SOS which took a week cause it was send to the wrong address. but anyways when i got it back i tighten it while the belt was on and it has been on there since then. which is like since 2009
Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by saaboteur
Ugh. Just talked to Paxton - they are currently backed up three weeks! Ouch. $380 for a minor rebuild of bearings and seals.

Guess I'm going to be NA for a little longer now....
gotta pay to play
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM

I decided to try one more thing prior to sending the blower to Paxton - swapping out the tensioner pulley for a new one. I did this last night, and I think I'm fine now. The expensive, bearing sounding noises have disappeared. I have loosened the belt a touch from where I had it before. New pulley was $40 locally, much better than the long wait and shipping costs with sending the blower back to Paxton.

I should add that when I visually inspected the tensioner pulley, it didn't appear to have anything wrong with it. It still rotated pretty smoothly, wasn't binding or anything. It wasn't really obvious. When I got the new one, the difference between them was pretty minimal, the new one was just marginally smoother in operation, and rotated slightly further on its own with a quick spin by hand. But considering the expense in time and money sending the blower back to Paxton, it was worth a shot.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:09 PM

I decided to try one more thing prior to sending the blower to Paxton - swapping out the tensioner pulley for a new one. I did this last night, and I think I'm fine now. The expensive, bearing sounding noises have disappeared. I have loosened the belt a touch from where I had it before. New pulley was $40 locally, much better than the long wait and shipping costs with sending the blower back to Paxton.

I should add that when I visually inspected the tensioner pulley, it didn't appear to have anything wrong with it. It still rotated pretty smoothly, wasn't binding or anything. It wasn't really obvious. When I got the new one, the difference between them was pretty minimal, the new one was just marginally smoother in operation, and rotated slightly further on its own with a quick spin by hand. But considering the expense in time and money sending the blower back to Paxton, it was worth a shot.
Crap, I just got back from the tuner today and I'm hearing that god awful noise from the first youtube video also. I sent that video to SOS and they said that sounded normal. Gonna talk to Chris tomorrow to see what he says about it, but I sure hope it's not normal.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:24 AM

when you put the pulley bolt on make sure you tighen it with the BELT on too, not just by itself.

that sound you guys are talking about is normal.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Belt on and tight, engine in gear so it won't spin. That'll hold the pulley so you can tighten the bolt. Mine's plenty tight..
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MasterForce
when you put the pulley bolt on make sure you tighen it with the BELT on too, not just by itself.

that sound you guys are talking about is normal.
Strange...because I didn't have this sound immediately after the initial install. I drove it around for ~20 miles in the next few days(never over 5000 rpms) and still no sound. The sound didn't show up until I got it back from the tuner and opened her up(WOT). My tuner says it might be the tensioner pulley also. I'm still waiting to talk to Chris at SOS to see what he says.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

I didn't note that I used blue threadlocker on the charger pulley last time around (well, I did the first time too, so this time I used a lot more!!), and also per SOS' recommendation, tightened to 22 ft lbs, with a strap wrench around the charger pulley (this was done with the charger assembly on the workbench). It'd be a good idea for them to update the install instructions with that too, if I remember right it just says 'tighten it up', or something simple like that. I dunno if there's enough room to get a torque wrench onto that bolt with the charger in place on the car though? I used a 3/8" drive, might be able to find a 1/4" drive torque wrench that goes up to 22 ft lbs?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't note that I used blue threadlocker on the charger pulley last time around (well, I did the first time too, so this time I used a lot more!!), and also per SOS' recommendation, tightened to 22 ft lbs, with a strap wrench around the charger pulley (this was done with the charger assembly on the workbench). It'd be a good idea for them to update the install instructions with that too, if I remember right it just says 'tighten it up', or something simple like that. I dunno if there's enough room to get a torque wrench onto that bolt with the charger in place on the car though? I used a 3/8" drive, might be able to find a 1/4" drive torque wrench that goes up to 22 ft lbs?
use a crows foot ..

Quick Reply: concerned about my supercharger