S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Comptech, Vortech, SOS supercharger with FMIC

Old 01-27-2015 | 09:20 PM
Community Organizer

have thought about doing the same setup but if I can do a v mount the pressure loss will be low and cooling will improve. I am looking to do big tracks and would rather loose some boost than heat soak the aftercooler and do damage or rely on my methanol to keep the car in check
Old 01-27-2015 | 10:35 PM

Hey guys check out this very nice looking FMIC from Ultimate Racing.

If you look at their Test 1 and Test 2 they show that the Air to Air front mount keeps the air cooler.
Not sure how much of it is correct and not bullsh*t.

www.ultimate-racing.com/Products2/S2K/S2K_FMIC-Kit-VortechSC.shtml
Old 01-27-2015 | 10:57 PM

Actually I've noticed that the Kraftworks and TTS (the two best S/C kits for our cars) do not have aftercoolers and use Air to Air FMIC's, is this correct?
Old 01-28-2015 | 03:45 AM

I can tell you the KW kit uses a front mount air to air intercooler / aftercooler. (They are the same thing with different names) You are correct that it is air/air rather than air/water like the SOS one. I have 3 inch intake piping and am making 463 whp (100 octane) 449 on pump piss.
Old 01-28-2015 | 12:10 PM

Thanks Speed2Kill I thought this was the case. I'm guessing that the FMIC is only worth using if running "T"or "Ti" trim @ above 14psi for the Vortech/Comptech people.
Old 01-28-2015 | 12:27 PM

I run a SOS's racing heater exchanger and put down 492whp DynoJet on my SOS S/C kit at 20psi. I will not be running a FMIC anytime soon as my AITs are not abnormally high even when driving hard for an hour of twisties in the middle of nowhere during the summer. Most, if not all, of the higher s2k supercharger guys are running heat exchangers.
Old 01-28-2015 | 09:37 PM

I have a novi 1000 , no cooler, stock injectors, vortech fpr fmu. So real basic setup with low boost, i believe its about 6 pounds.

From what i see front mount intercooler is much cheaper option than a aftercooler, can i just run a different pulley to makeup for the boost loss thru the frontmount? i know normally id have to upgrade engine management and injectors to run a different pulley, is that not necessary since im technically making same amount of boost? and what pulley yall think i could run with without new injectors and engine management?

im not ready to spend a ton of money quite yet, car is fun as is
Old 01-31-2015 | 11:54 AM

Well I spent an entire weekend testing all different aspects of the FMIC setup on a Dynojet. On the testing block were 5 different Intercoolers, 2 were the same core with different endtanks, and a range of piping from full 2.5" to Full 3" and everything in between. I changed literally 1 piece at a time and logged 3 pulls starting at the same IAT for every run with the exception of the direct piping-with those pulls I just waited for the IAT's to stabilize before starting. The log on Ultimate Racing's site is a bit misleading. It does not compare IAT's of an Aftercooler to a FMIC. The log showing IAT's in the 160* range is from straight piping from the charger to the Throttle body with NO Heat exchager. I know because I just did it. My car logs 13.5 PSI at 9000RPM direct to the TB. My final setup was all 3" piping routed the "traditional" way with InlinePRO's Race Intercooler. So that is a loss of 2psi total. I did not have an Aftercooler to test this time but form previous test's I believe pressure drop was about 1-1.5 psi there. I saw no difference in Throttle Response at all since the car is force fed air throughout the entire RPM band. The Final result was 356whp 225tq at 11.5 PSI. I picked up 2.5 PSI plus 40 WHP and 20 TQ from my original setup. From this test I learned the charger really likes the least resistance possible, bigger piping, bigger cores, smooth transitioning endtanks, angled pipe over angled couplers. All these things played a large roll in freeing up the HP and increasing efficiency

Oh, a quick rundown of the setup. the motor is an old sleeved 2.0L 9:1 comp, the head has a stock port with springs and retainers. Comptech NOVI 1000 blower. All this was installed in 2005 so it is a bit tired now. I first saw this car back in 2004 when I worked as a tech at a performance shop. 1 year ago the owner called me and offered to sell the car, I was happy to bring it back into my garage.

The following users liked this post:
hafftrak (01-06-2017)
Old 01-31-2015 | 12:08 PM

The before and after results with the Same pulley and no Tuning changes. This is strictly intercooler and piping differences.

My original core is the second from the top. They are in order from worst to best, best being the botom.

Old 01-31-2015 | 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rick E Rocket
Well I spent an entire weekend testing all different aspects of the FMIC setup on a Dynojet. On the testing block were 5 different Intercoolers, 2 were the same core with different endtanks, and a range of piping from full 2.5" to Full 3" and everything in between. I changed literally 1 piece at a time and logged 3 pulls starting at the same IAT for every run with the exception of the direct piping-with those pulls I just waited for the IAT's to stabilize before starting. The log on Ultimate Racing's site is a bit misleading. It does not compare IAT's of an Aftercooler to a FMIC. The log showing IAT's in the 160* range is from straight piping from the charger to the Throttle body with NO Heat exchager. I know because I just did it. My car logs 13.5 PSI at 9000RPM direct to the TB. My final setup was all 3" piping routed the "traditional" way with InlinePRO's Race Intercooler. So that is a loss of 2psi total. I did not have an Aftercooler to test this time but form previous test's I believe pressure drop was about 1-1.5 psi there. I saw no difference in Throttle Response at all since the car is force fed air throughout the entire RPM band. The Final result was 356whp 225tq at 11.5 PSI. I picked up 2.5 PSI plus 40 WHP and 20 TQ from my original setup. From this test I learned the charger really likes the least resistance possible, bigger piping, bigger cores, smooth transitioning endtanks, angled pipe over angled couplers. All these things played a large roll in freeing up the HP and increasing efficiency

Oh, a quick rundown of the setup. the motor is an old sleeved 2.0L 9:1 comp, the head has a stock port with springs and retainers. Comptech NOVI 1000 blower. All this was installed in 2005 so it is a bit tired now. I first saw this car back in 2004 when I worked as a tech at a performance shop. 1 year ago the owner called me and offered to sell the car, I was happy to bring it back into my garage.

Thank you for sharing the information what pulley setup\sizing did you use?

Quick Reply: Comptech, Vortech, SOS supercharger with FMIC