S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Comptech Supercharger, very dissappointed!

Old 06-13-2011 | 07:12 AM

Default Comptech Supercharger, very dissappointed!

Well I have this thing installed, got the ESM installed, 255 LPH fuel pump as well, i've checked over everything and I must say I am very dissappointed at the performance. It's virtually non-existent! I am going to install a boost gauge and see what is going on, but as far as I can tell it is barely spinning over 2 psi at the most. It flat out sucks. Does anybody have any advice or things to double check. I hear no predetonation nothing of that business so I know its not leaning out. It feel more like 210 rwhp instead of a 298 rwhp.
Old 06-13-2011 | 07:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Cody I mean no disrespect but I seriously think you need to find a good experienced mechanic to check over your work. I've had the Comptech supercharger on my 05 Rio and it put out 304 RWHP and you can definitely feel it. Anyone who's rode in my car will attest to that.

Even if you kept the stock clutch you can still feel the gain though you will lose about 10-14hp with a slipping clutch. I was putting 289 to the wheels, after the ACT clutch/flywheel combo we put 304.

Check your hoses and make sure there is no leaks.
Old 06-13-2011 | 07:45 AM

My guess is bad install or some tuning issue,
get some gauges & get to a dyno
Old 06-13-2011 | 08:01 AM

Thanks, I'm going to check it out with a boost gauge, but I can be honest on one thing, this is the forth supercharged car I have done and if it isn't belt slipping it's rotor bearings failing (on an m45 eaton) maybe it's loosing pressure at the sequential blow off valve, it just seriously feels like it's not generating much boost at all...
Old 06-13-2011 | 08:04 AM

The Mazda Miata jr superchargers were nortorious for slipping belts and it only got worse as the rotor bearings on the lobes began to wear down. Im hoping this comptech isn't going to be a belt slipping nightmare lol..
Old 06-13-2011 | 08:11 AM

Well if the supercharger is building 5.5 psi solid to the redline, then maybe it's running way too rich or the clutch has some major slippage.
Old 06-13-2011 | 08:33 AM

Clutch slip is easy to diagnose. The motor's revving but you're not going anywhere.

Belt slip is also fairly easy. Just twist it between two fingers and if it's not tight, tighten it. They usually loosen up several times after the first install, so check it regularly until you get >100 miles on the kit.

Next step beyond that is to plumb in a boost gauge and go for a ride. We did that with my SOS and it was great fun. My issue turned out to be mostly belt slip, plus my car just seems to be slightly weaker than others for no specific reason.
Old 06-13-2011 | 08:43 AM

Thanks, also anytime I've had a clutch even partially slip you can smell it after you come to a stop. Maybe it's just belt tension, I'll check it when I get home..
Old 06-13-2011 | 09:16 AM

As a rule of thumb, grab the belt half way down between SC pulley and crank pulley with your thumb and index finger (its a tight squeeze but you can get your hand in), you should be able to twist the belt no more than 45 degrees with a bit of difficulty.

Definitely something wrong even at 5psi you can feel it!.
Old 06-13-2011 | 09:54 AM

Do you have pictures of the install?

Quick Reply: Comptech Supercharger, very dissappointed!