S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

clicking sound comming from the supercharger

Old 03-23-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking sound comming from the supercharger

Just got done installing the comptech s/c with the a/c. love the new power now, but am concerned about the clicking (ticking) noise comming from the supercharger. The clicking (ticking) noise sound like the engine is knocking. Is the ticking noise normal on the comptech? thanks for all of your guys help!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Most Comptech blowers have a pretty typical "gravelly" sound but ticking is unusual. Ticking could be an indication that the belt has been overtightened and the pulley shaft is bent causing the pulley to wobble. You could also have a slight wobble in the tensioner pulley too that is touching something it's not supposed to.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 PM

Is the noise right around 3,000 rpm? Goes away below that and likely gets higher frequency above that so you can't hear it? If so, I have this too and I had Comptech install my SC. I actually drove back to ask them about the sound and they claimed it was gear noise from within the SC and it was normal. I've put 4,000 miles on the car since and the noise has not changed in that time.

It is definitely not knocking... I tried the stethoscope trick and it is clearly coming from within the snail itself.

But, I'd like to hear if other folks have experienced this. Xviper, you have a Vortech right? Wonder if this is something specific to the Paxton snail that Comptech uses.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Halo,Mar 27 2005, 03:04 PM
Xviper, you have a Vortech right? Wonder if this is something specific to the Paxton snail that Comptech uses.
Yes, I have the Vortech and it also makes a "gravelly" noise, however, it's not nearly as pronounced as in the Comptech snail. I have heard several Comptechs and they all have this kind of "rough bearing" type of noise. I believe it is perfectly normal. But like I said, none of them have had any sort of "clicking" sound. I don't believe such a sound would be normal.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Vortech has a Q in it's part number. Stands for 'Quiet'. I believe it is because it has angled gears. I am also under the impression that the Paxton (supplied by Comptech) has straight cut gears. Hence the 'can of nuts and bolts' rattle when not under load.

If this is what you describe as a tick sound then nothing to worry about. If you actually have a tick each revolution and it changes with RPM then perhaps you should look into it.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:06 PM

OK, i finally got off my fat ass and recorded a short video of the sound I've been hearing since day 1.

Despite the limitations of the little microphones in my camera, I think the sound is reproducible. What this video shows is two runs from idle to 3,000 each time holding @3,000 for a couple of seconds.

The sound I am referring to is the high pitched metallic vibration that comes on as I approach 3,000 and stays there as I hold the revs. The best I can describe it is as if someone put a tamborine on top of my engine and it's rattling. Others may say it sounds like the engine is knocking.

I didn't rev it past 3,000 but the sound goes away... presumably because the frequency goes beyond audible range. A stethoscope confirms the sound is coming from withing the snail, not the head or block.

Right click, save as:

http://www.zcode.org/files/SCgrind.mpg
Old 04-03-2005, 02:44 PM

Of all the Comptechs I've listened to, that is the noisiest of that kind of sound. It could be be that the supercharger bearing is damaged from having too tight a belt. I could still be that the belt pulley is touching something when it spins, which could mean that the shaft is bent. Can you see all the way around the outer AND inner edge of the pulley? On the outer edge, it could be hitting something on the engine. On the inner edge, it could be hitting the supercharge housing.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:55 AM

Took a good look at everything this Sunday (not the first time, I've had this sound for almost a year ~3,500 miles).

The belt tension is exactly as Comptech specs... easily 0.5" deflection with 20lb of force on the drive side. I see nothing making contact with any parts of the SC from above or below. But, I agree it sounds like a bad bearing.

I will add that I had Comptech do this install. Afterwards, it spent about an hour on their dyno during which 3 Comptech guys were around the car. When I drove away I immediately heard this noise and headed back to them. The tech who did most of the work on the car listened and said it was gear lash noise. I had no reason to doubt it but I guess anything is possible. I just wish I could hear a few other SCs. If it is indeed, specific to my car, I wouldn't hesitate to drive back to Sacramento and have them check it out again. Maybe the snail had a defective bearing out of the box?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:11 AM

Get in touch with "faukengenius". He's in your area and has a Comptech. Also, "Avi".
Old 04-04-2005, 10:19 AM

I had this kind of thing going on. I had a cracked SC bracket. Called Comptech and they sent me a new set of brackets. The one that was cracked was the one on the left looking from the front.

? Do you have the old brackets or the new one's with the bushings?

Rich

Quick Reply: clicking sound comming from the supercharger