S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Cheap and reliable?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Turbonator.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Aug 16 2009, 02:41 AM
No, not on my S2000, I wanted to stay all motor, but my hatch is. I have also turbo'd several cars piece mealing them together.

What exactly is difficult? Finding everything for cheap? Saving money? Cause the install is about as straight forward as having sex. Unless some of you find that hard to do lol.
S2kage - you've done a few. Great mate. But do you remember your first one? Did you get any help on that one?

Seriously, if you've turbo'd a few cars before or know some one who has a custom kit might be 'easy'. If you haven't well I guess S2kage will be happy to answer any questions you might have
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Aug 10 2009, 06:02 PM
Your first post says "cheap and reliable" leaving out "fast". You also say "300hp". The obvious answer is Greddy.

You then go on to say "500hp" and are looking at kits that could hardly be called cheap.

I think you need to spend some time cementing what you actually want before asking questions.
You can't get what you want for cheap.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

If you want 400-500whp "cheap" the only way to really do that is to go with a kit that you can start out in a minimal state and move it up without needing to replace anything or if your luck enough to find a complete kit that's already running this level. I always consider used as an option. A centrifugal SC is the first thing that comes to mind that will get you into FI cheaper then any other FI kit and still give you the option to work up to this kind of power level later, without needing to start over with another kit or perform anything but some head porting work, if you want that upper 500whp range. 400whp is easily attainable with just boost 12-15psi. I picked up a solid used CTSC kit with AC for $3200 fully functioning.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2kage - you've done a few. Great mate. But do you remember your first one? Did you get any help on that one?

Seriously, if you've turbo'd a few cars before or know some one who has a custom kit might be 'easy'. If you haven't well I guess S2kage will be happy to answer any questions you might have rolleyes.gif
Actually I cannot say that i boosted my car without help, but i did do it alone. I spent many hours reading online and I actually did go custom, i had to, nobody made a turbo kit for a tiburon lol laugh as you will

But nonetheless, if my posts come off as arrogant or snoby i do not mean so, it just bothers me that at 16 I was able to properly navigate the internet and make my own phone calls when people who are twice that age still ask the most basic questions over and over again. Seriously now... There was actually a post question by question not too long ago about difference in intercoolers and such when each time I entered a question of his into google multiple answers from various forums came up with factual knowledge.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres the thing, you could rush and end up buying two kits like me, or you can take twice as long to research and save money and buy 1 kit its your choice. Reliable???? Nothing is ever reliable when you take a 240HP car and make it create 500HP, some parts are more reliable than others.

I bought a Greddy Kit, which has been very reliable and relatively cheap, however I sold it because 317 RWHP is fun, but not enough........... I sold it for around $900.00 less than a paid for it, so not too bad, but I also spend $$$$ on two tunes.

This time I am buying the best parts, for not only reputation but for POWER. I was going to go with the PFAB Tubular for $999.00 and a GT30 but wanted more top end, so I could have went with the GT35 and had the top end,but the low end would suffer, so I am spending the extra cash for a Twinscroll, this way I have no regrets. It will cost more money but I know I will be happy. This setup will take a while, probably not complete and tuned until end of Winter but so what, it will be worth the wait

Point is, if your going to do something, do it right the first time, even if its a bit more cash and a longer wait.

There was a cheesey qoute that was on the wall at the Flight school I used to Instruct at something like this

"the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price"
Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GReddy!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM

* Cheap & Reliable won't be Fast

* Fast & Cheap won't be Reliable

* Reliable & Fast won't be Cheap

Choose accordingly.

-M
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM

I would stay away from Greddy. I saw a member, with a Mase tune, only put something like 240-250 down. Ridiculous for a turbo application. I thought his turbo might have been bad... Mase says that kit is extremely inefficient, and generates a lot of heat with not a lot of boost.

I would save up for Mase's kit, or AFI's kit. Both appear to be top-notch. Full Race is also good, but requires the battery / fuse box to be relocated (same with PFAB). I am personally not shot-in-the-head with PFAB's log manifold either. If you do not want to spend the $ on a nice tubular, to InlinePro with a gt3076 (or equivalent Precision turbo...).

John
Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 PM

i see another blown motor in the nearby future....a cheap build to make 400hp and you don't want a s/c?

your gonna spend at least 6k minimum if your gonna do a turbo build the right way. Especially coming from a stock s2k.

injectors..engine managment, clutch... this stuff already costs 2k maybe a little more. and thats not even the turbo kit!!

I wish people would stop posting these......."reliable and Cheap and Fast" Threads. This is an S2000, its gonna cost $$$$$$$ and if you do it wrong..BOOM!! just because you saved 200 bucks on a cheaper tuner.