S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Cheap and reliable?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any FI = unforseen issues. it makes me laugh when people try to justify which FI setup is more reliable.

bottom line, be careful in your install, be cogniscent of any change in the car once driving it, GET A SOLID TUNE.

if you wanted the car to be reliable, stay away from FI. some things that happen once FI:

overheating
charge pipes popping off
broken diff
broken transmission
broken axles
leaking oil relocation kits - if your kit requires this
did i mention overheating?
blown motors - not common, but happens
gas consumption - heavier foot
oil consumption - see above problem
replacing tires more often
replacing brakes more often

etc etc etc

if you want the best possible scenario for least overall headaches, VT or CT kit with stock boost.

otherwise, expect things to go wrong, that way your not angry WHEN they do. oh, and inlinepro aiont as cheap as you think. 4k doesnt include tuning,engine management, or injectors. so add 1800-2k to that 4k price.

HONESTLY, MASES KIT FTW. your getting a sidewinder tubular mani instead of log. you get aem ems WITH A TUNE. and your right in his backyard.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TerminatioN,Aug 10 2009, 01:35 PM
@Mase kit, if it was more competitively priced with pfab/IP I'd probably go with that. But I don't see where the extra $2.5k is justified.
Engine management + no relocating of components
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would not want to have to relocate the battery / fuse box as is required with the top-mount kits (i.e. - PFAB). Most people tuck the fuse box into the fender, which would suck to change if you had a fuse blow.

IP is what you should look at, if you want minimal work and proven reliability. However, if you need to get the turbo from them, as I believe they use a specific turbine housing to clear the frame, without having to notch it. Once you opt for the larger injectors (750cc minimum) and the EMS (plus paying for the tune), Mase's kit looks a little more inviting. Plus, he is relatively local to you, so you can avoid all shipping costs by driving to Jacksonville to pick it all up.

Mase's kit is worth the extra $2500 (IMO), as it comes with EVERYTHING, down to the pre-tuned EMS (tunes cost anywhere from $500-750 just for the tune on a dyno). It also has substantial headroom, just in case you want to ratchet the boost up later.

At 350rwhp, you will probably be replacing the clutch as well as the rear end (if you plan on being aggressive at all with your launches). Those upgrades should allow you to run 500+rwhp with no additional upgrades to the drivetrain (do it once, instead of having to do it again if you want more power). You would be hard pressed to get much past 500rwhp on the IP kit. Take it from me, the power is ADDICTIVE. I only lasted a year at 335rwhp before I wanted more.

Staying stock compression, or 3mm HG?

John
Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your first post says "cheap and reliable" leaving out "fast". You also say "300hp". The obvious answer is Greddy.

You then go on to say "500hp" and are looking at kits that could hardly be called cheap.

I think you need to spend some time cementing what you actually want before asking questions.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

moderate boosted Comptech SC of course, what else?

I put 100miles a day on my car and pull on c6's. Whats better then that for the money. Bought the stock kit used and added injection/upped the boost. Same maintenance as stock except for changing a SC belt once in a wile, which takes 5 min.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go custom, so much cheaper, so easy to make power... altho from the sounds of your posts you may lack the knowledge so you might as well buy a bolt on kit.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have a custom turbo setup S2Kage?

I do. I set it up when there were very few kits and virtually none for RHD.

I can assure you there is nothing 'easy' about setting up a custom kit.

And any money you might save buying mismatched and secondhand parts will be spent buying parts that don't fit and don't work need to be bought a second time. Not to mention alternative modes of transport when your car is down (in my case for three months).
Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 PM

All i have to say is dont use the words cheap or inexpensive. the first thing you buy that isnt up to spec will cost you ten times more in the end. I had to get my VTSC installed twice because of it. As for how it runs now. Great, but now its all InlinePro FTW when i get back from cruise.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 AM

If I were you bro, I'd wait and see what others are doing to their cars. There are a couple of threads out there that are up to date and that are talking about turbo setups. I've done a lot of research and 99% of those guys that are FI'd with a turbo setup have said they spent too much money. And that 1% are like only 2 guys that I've heard say otherwise. Lol. All I can say is, good luck bro.

Oh and btw, I hope you know the inlinepro kit is not a COMPLETE kit. Add the other things you'll need to keep it up and running and there goes your $2500 you were trying to figure out.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do. I set it up when there were very few kits and virtually none for RHD.

I can assure you there is nothing 'easy' about setting up a custom kit.

And any money you might save buying mismatched and secondhand parts will be spent buying parts that don't fit and don't work need to be bought a second time. Not to mention alternative modes of transport when your car is down (in my case for three months).
No, not on my S2000, I wanted to stay all motor, but my hatch is. I have also turbo'd several cars piece mealing them together.

What exactly is difficult? Finding everything for cheap? Saving money? Cause the install is about as straight forward as having sex. Unless some of you find that hard to do lol.

Quick Reply: Cheap and reliable?