S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Cheap and reliable?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cheap and reliable?

Ok, so I've always heard from my fellow car friends, that as far as going FI, there are three options of which you can only have two; fast, reliable and cheap. So if you want to be fast and reliable, it won't be cheap, and if you want reliable and cheap, it won't be fast... etc.

Well, I'm not going to have a very high budget so I guess I'd go for reliable and cheap. I mean it doesn't have to be ridiculously cheap, like a crappy ebay kit or something, but it does need to be on the low end of the price scale as far as turbo kits go.

Obviously I'd like to make as much power as I can, but I don't really have a goal on HP or anything. Honestly I'd probably be happy with anything over 300, but of course the more the better.

The 100% most important thing though is reliability. The car is my DD and while I know it's unlikely to be problem free, I'd like as little downtime and problems as possible.

Thus I come to you all. I really don't know much about turbos or kits, so I need some suggestions.

Would I be better to get a complete kit and try and find it used for decently cheap? Or could I buy piece by piece and kind of build my own kit as I get the money?

What brands should I look into? Which should I stay away from? Which are the most reliable? etc..

How much is the bare minimum I should look on spending for all the parts, and still have a reliable setup?

I really have a lot of questions and the search feature on the site never really seems to be able to return what I'm looking for.

So yeah, help me out guys and at least get me started on my research.

Thanks,
-Will
Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

greddy.

easy to intstall.

if you go custom, you will run into a lot of problems.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by combats2000,Aug 9 2009, 10:05 AM
greddy.

easy to intstall.

if you go custom, you will run into a lot of problems.
I didn't really mean custom... more like by piece by piece used, since complete kits tend to cost more than individual parts.

How reliable are the greddy kits? how much do they usually run? Do they make good power? I thought I had a fellow s2000 friend one time telling me they didn't make very good power and were complete POS.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search is your friend...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ATOice,Aug 9 2009, 10:22 AM
search is your friend...
Originally Posted by TerminatioN,Aug 9 2009, 09:59 AM
I really have a lot of questions and the search feature on the site never really seems to be able to return what I'm looking for.
Reading is your friend. If you're not going to answer my questions or give me advice then why even ****ing post? Seriously...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM

greddy is realible.

Piece by piece you will need this then that, have to wait for screws for this piece.. takes a while.

up to u bra
Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 AM

After reading some I'm really thinking that greddy is not the kit for me and instead will go with Inline Pro.

The greddy seems easy, but has little to no room for expansion, whereas the inline pro kit has potential for 500+ with some upgrades.

Whenever I buy something I always look into the future for the ability to upgrade and the greddy kit just doesn't have that.

Plus it seems like inline pro is pretty reasonably priced and have a very good reputation for helping customers and treating them right...
Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 PM

I would say InlinePro... For that price, its reliability is pretty much unquestioned. That is if price is the motivating factor or which to pick.... I would also go with AEM or Hondata for tuning.

If I were to do it all over again, I would go with Mase Engineering's kit. But that is if you can afford it. Its a great looking kit. I would get the Mase kit because its 400rwhp OUT of the box. He pre-tunes the ECU for you.

Then you have to ask yourself if you want the OEM power delivery, and just want to amplify it, or if you want a nice, fat, midrange... More like a v6-v8 in torque delivery. If you want a more OEM delivery, go with a gt35r or gt3082r. If you want a great power curve, go with a gt3076.

John
Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 PM

I would go with one of the supercharger systems. Why cause although you can get a turbo kit you need to get many more things for a turbo than a SC. Also you want it to be your DD. So I would look at the SOS, new Vortech or Kraftworks systems.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=jwa4378,Aug 9 2009, 12:37 PM] I would say InlinePro...

Quick Reply: Cheap and reliable?