S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

CEL, lean,help

Old 03-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL, lean,help

I have on '01 S2k that just hit 60k miles. I got it 4 yrs ago with 20k miles with a comptech supercharger. Everything professionally installed. Never had any problems with it. CEL would come on about 2 times out of the year, (P0171) (bank 1 lean), I would reset it or the car would reset the CEL itself.

After about 1 month ago the CEL came on, 2 codes were pulled.
P0171 (bank 1 lean)
P0170 (fuel Trim malfunction bank 1)
I reset it and did a quater of a turn counter clockwise on the fuel pump, with an allan wrench and re-tighten the bolt at the bottem, which I believe allows more fuel to the engine. (red billet fuel pump that comes with the kit that sits in the upper righthand corner in the engine bay by the clutch reservoir)

It ran fine, then the CEL came on a few days ago, only the P0171 (Lean Bank 1)code came up, reset it.

Now again, today the CEL came back on, going to check tomorrow if it is the same code which I am 99% sure it is.

What can I do to stop this or fix it with out spending a ton of money on a bunch of crazy sh@t.

The car runs great! hauls ass and smooth, no hesatation, engages in V-tech like a dream. Only thing it does when the CEL is on, is it idles very low and when coming to a stop, it feels like it wants to cut off, but doesnt.

The CEL used to only come on after a long road trip (180miles or more). But never came on this many times so quickly.

Please help me, it is driving me nuts and I am affraid I am damaging the engine. Have tried a few posts, but no solid advice to make it stop. Sorry for such a long post, really need the help and want good advice.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Really? Nothing?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 AM

Did some research, I was talking about the FPR above. I also was turning it the wrong way (counter-clockwise).

Clockwise will increase pressure and cause a richer mix, correct me if I am wrong. I also will be getting a Dyno Tune in the near future. The car had a dyyno tune when the CTSC was originally installed. Do you typically need another Dyno tune later down the road?

If there is anything else I can do or something that will help, please let me know. It has been fun talking to myself in this thread
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 AM

for the tune it really depends on the EMS or piggy back that you are useing. its always a god idea to get an A/F reading once in a while just to see where your fuel system is at and if you need to replace things. but onto the real problem that you are having. was the FPR loose when you went to turn the bolt? i dont think that those would start losing fuel pressure for no reason. it may be going bad. if it still gives you a lean code after you open it up check with your local tuner for A/F and then ask him how to mitigate the fuel issues. im not sure i helped you out but i hope so.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 AM

The screw was not loose, everything seems intact. No loose vacume hoses that I could see. It wasn't losing fuel pressure, car still has great power.

I am going to put the FPR back at the original setting it had, maybe a quater turn or more to try for a richer mix. Then check the CEL code and reset it.

I am hoping this will fix it since I am going to the beach this week and would like to go topless while its warm.

Out of curiousity, if it is running lean from time to time (what the ECU is saying with the CEL) what kind of harm am I doing to my car, if any. only have 60k on it and baby the shit out of it, conditioning wise, tune ups, all oils, and dont drive it like I stole it all the time....
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM

Right, you were adjusting the rising rate regulator the wrong direction. Sounds like you just need to richen it up a bit, just keep bumping up the rate until you stop getting a CEL.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:43 AM

if it really is running lean then it wont matter how you drive it because its just going to do the same damage over a longer period of time. you should get this fixed as soon as you can.

it may be something as easy as a bad sensor or ground on a sensor.

is there somewhere you can see what Bank 1 means? ive had this problem before also but it was on a chevy truck so im not sure it would be the same thing. ended up being a bad injector and the problem went away. thats something else you can check. have your injectors tested for flow. maybe one of them is giving up??? ill do some searching and see if i cant find a better answer for you.

keep in mine that this is a lot of guessing and the best people to get answers about codes are mechanics or a honda Technician.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

One more question. Should I adjust the FPR, then reset the ECU, so it can re-adjust to my settings? Or does it not matter?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 AM

it shouldnt matter. reset before or after will have the same affect.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Just talked to a local Honda-Acura mechanic in Richmond. (Wallace Automotive)

They believe it could be my primary O2 has gone bad, causing the CEL to come on more this month. Replace with same one, NGK or Denso.

Quick Reply: CEL, lean,help