S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Car won't start with EMS...

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car won't start with EMS...

Well i finally did take the plunge and went about getting the EMS... After two months of trying to convince vendors that Malta really does exist and waiting, I finally received my 1052U. Ok, so i've pulled out my emanage and ecu and plugged the ems in. Hooked up the laptop - connects fine. Loaded up the base map, set my throttle, Set the gain for the o2 sensor and I'm about to check the timing with the timing light, so I press the push start annnnnd...nothing...the self-starter cranks but the car won't start. Any suggestions guys?

For your reference -

Car is Comptech Sc'ed at stock boost, RC 550's and complete aftermarket single with test pipe.

Base map is AEM map with boost comp, and coolant and AIT values corrected to those found o s2ki and aem forums. Also, I took into account the 550's and used the injector wizard to adjust for them.

Two things stuck out -

1. battery voltage was pretty low at about 10.5 volts, so i charged it a bit to 11.5 volts - car still won't start - hopefully i'll try another battery tomorrow.

2. More worryingly, stat sync remains off throughout. Dunno what the cause could be - anyone been through this before?

Your help would be highly appreciated as always
Old 07-19-2007, 07:30 PM

You can call me a noob but
What is AEM EMS?
LOL
Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 AM

Burman: Ok, you're a noob AEM EMS is a programmable engine control unit prodced by AEM - they're the only company (with the exception of Hondata - which still requiresw some mdification) that prduce a plug and play standalone for the s2000. Go onto their site for more info http://www.aempower.com/

47 views and no replies . Anyways, today hooked up a battery charger and cranked up the voltage, we got stat sync on and car started. Looks like my stock battery wasn't cutting the mustard. Now it'll stay on but will die after a few seconds fi you don;t ive it some gas - probably have to tweak around the idling.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by s0rted,Jul 20 2007, 07:00 AM
Two things stuck out -

1. battery voltage was pretty low at about 10.5 volts, so i charged it a bit to 11.5 volts - car still won't start - hopefully i'll try another battery tomorrow.

2. More worryingly, stat sync remains off throughout. Dunno what the cause could be - anyone been through this before?

Your help would be highly appreciated as always
I've been through this road before, so I can under stand your pain

1. You will need a good battery for the aem ems. It will be best if you charge both batteries and hook both of them up. The ems need good power and your car will start easier with good power.

2. "stat syn" will only go on after a few cranks. Keep your finger on the red button until you see "sync". Let it crank for a few more times. If the engine fails to start stop, add or subtract fuel accordingly. Pull your plugs out to read it after a few tries. Clean them and make sure they are not fouled. If possible put your stock injectors back in and see if you can start with the smaller injectors.

It's hard work starting the engine fresh but at least you have a good base map. Do a search on the aempower forum, you should see a lot of hints

Good luck
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM

GOd

AEM EMS is expensive!!
How much you bought it for?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 PM

do you have map sensor or is it stock? Is the ems pre tuned? I kinda had the same problem, but my battery was old so i bought a new one and it crank up, but later dies out and found out that i had the 3.5 bar map and the Oem bar map running at the same time and that my map wasnt for my setup. But then the tuner got it up and running for me =]
Old 07-21-2007, 03:34 AM

honda9krpm: Thanks! We finally got the car started and stat sync'd by boosting the voltage up to about 13.5 volts - Still it's amazing how much power the ems needs to crank over the car and get stat sync'd compared to the stock ecu. On Monday I'll be borrowing an Optima yellow top and I'll see how that works out. I think it might be worth checking the supply to the ecu with a multimeter to see if there are any strange losses along the way.

My tuner will be over on Monday too and we'll try and get the car to hold the idle.

Congo: EMS is brand new and map sensor is stock Honda so no problems there, but thanks