S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Car running extremely lean

Old 06-14-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running extremely lean

I was just cruising at like 3000 RPM the other day. I stopped at a red light, it turned green, I rolled the car and I realized that they car sounds really weird. It sounds just like a Subaru (boxer engine). it is not accelerating as it normally does and the A/F is ranging between 16-17

We thought it might be the coil failure so I tested it by unplugging them when the car is at idle. One (the one close to the front of the car) did not do anything when I unplugged it. For the other 3, the car acted as if it was losing power. So there was definitely something wrong with #1.

To test if it is the coil or not, I switched the #1 coil with #2 to see if the problem will switch but it was still at #1. So there was nothing wrong with the coil.

We though it might be the spark plug. I changed the plugs and the problem was still there.

We though it might be the injector so I switched the #1 injector with #2, the problem was still at #1.

Tonight, I will try to switch the inector plugs to check if it is a plug failure. But I doubt that it'll work

What else can it be?? Anybody had any problem like this?

PS: I don't hear any loud knocking, nor I see any white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering it is number 1 I would try a compression and leakdown test. If you were running that lean #1 would be the first to go.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

my car sounded like a boxer motor just before it dropped a valve... check out the retainers
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 PM

what are the possible damages?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:39 PM

had the exact same problem not too long ago. The car felt exactly like a Boxer engine and you could feel the whole car shake at idle. Ya and I pulled the coil thinking it could be the number 1 coil but wasnt. Solution... The electrical tape around the injector clips came undone and the wires had undone them selfves and was causing missfire. Take a look and see if that is what happened.

-Chris
Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chris@inlinePRO,Jun 14 2007, 05:39 PM
had the exact same problem not too long ago. The car felt exactly like a Boxer engine and you could feel the whole car shake at idle. Ya and I pulled the coil thinking it could be the number 1 coil but wasnt. Solution... The electrical tape around the injector clips came undone and the wires had undone them selfves and was causing missfire. Take a look and see if that is what happened.

-Chris
I also had this happen on my #3 cylinder. It did throw a misfire code and the CEL was of the blinking kind. Something you should notice.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ChefJ,Jun 14 2007, 08:42 PM
I also had this happen on my #3 cylinder. It did throw a misfire code and the CEL was of the blinking kind. Something you should notice.
Most forced induction s2000's out there are running the AEM EMS so there is no Check Engine Light, so it makes it a little more confusing when a random problem should occur.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 PM

Thats why I don't really regret going with the blue box sometimes. I bought an OBDII scanner just so that I can pull whatever code may go off. It helps alot in this type of situation. If only AEM could custom make a EMS that was intelligent enough to know what is good and bad.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chris@inlinePRO,Jun 14 2007, 08:39 PM

-Chris
That is a relief for me. Thanks for the advice. I am hoping it is not something other than the tape

anyways, you think if i switch the plugs with #1 and #2, it would switch the problem to #2 right?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chris@inlinePRO,Jun 14 2007, 08:39 PM

-Chris
btw, did you have that same running lean issue? also the car is accelerating as if it is like 30hp car. basically not accelerating.

Quick Reply: Car running extremely lean