S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

car blew freeze plug out of head....

Old 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car blew freeze plug out of head....

:UPDATE: i got my original problems fixed. (was bad injectors)
i got the car running and pulled it onto the dyno. it was running GREAT! after a 2 hrs of tuning and a bunch of pulls, the car randomly EXPLODED coolant all over the place. after looking around at the engine, i saw that the brass plug that goes in the side of the head right under the intake manifold blew out of the head and dumped all the coolant out of the hole. luckily the car is still running well but now i have to get this fixed. im wondering if this happened bc of the head shop not putting the port in well enough or what. or maybe i actually built up that much crank pressure (which i highly doubt). once i get the car back, im gonna do a leakdown test but until then, i gotta figure out if i can fix this port hole with or without pulling the head. i really hate to break down the engine since it has less than 10k miles on it since i fully built the internals....
what you guys think?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Battery? Also check the grounds etc.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your fuel pressure?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you ruled out the starter?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Battery charged ?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:37 PM

if you look to the left of the manifold, youll see a port hole.. there is supposed to be a plug in there and i blew it out. does anyone know what this part is called or how ill have to go about fixing it? will i have to pull the head?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing this out there....

I had the same problems you did, started with leaking injectors, then i started blowing dipsticks, and the motor just got crazy hot. Are these forged internals?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 PM

if you dont bleed the air out of the coolant system properly, an air pocket will superheat inside the block and blow out freeze plugs and any other object holding it back.

this is a large concern for evo owners and happens more than you know.

however, if you just had some work done at the machine shop and they had the plugs/ports all open for hot-tanking or cleaning, they may have fudged up the reassembly a bit.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 PM

everything inside the car is forged internals and was build bout 10k miles ago. they did the filling of the radiator at the shop that did all the machining of the engine. and this was the first actual pull on the turbo kit. im glad to hear that this is a common issue. how do most people go about fixing this? do i have to break down the head and have it machined back in or can this be re-installed with the engine still together bc it was still running and pulling great even after it blew out. when it happened, my first thought was that the head lifted and blew the HG. my first step is a leak down. if all is good, id REALLY like to be able to fix this without takin the engine apart... but if necessary then i will.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by RedLineS2k10,Aug 28 2010, 04:46 PM
Just throwing this out there....

I had the same problems you did, started with leaking injectors, then i started blowing dipsticks, and the motor just got crazy hot. Are these forged internals?
my car had actually been running perfect temps. when this happened i was in the middle of a pull on the dyno and the temp was at 194 degrees F. everything was going great when this happened... so i guess it must have had something to do with an air pocket or something. surely this isnt related to crank pressure... since this freeze plug shouldnt be directly attached to anything that can build up crank pressure.

Quick Reply: car blew freeze plug out of head....