S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Can't get past 6000 rpm's?

Old 06-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill check tomorrow what brand mine is.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't despair just yet. I went through three usb/serial adapters before I found one that works. This is what worked for me:

http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.p...005022316346005

Also, I seemed to have trouble with the later software/firmware updates, so I stuck to the earliest version. At the time I thought it might be because later versions of the support tool allow allow you to vary vtec engagement and disengagement by throttle percentage. With the earlier version it's just an on/off switch. I know you said you're bypassing the emanage for vtec but it could very well be a software compatibility issue. You can get different updates from here:

http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/index.html

But first and foremost try getting a laptop to communicate with the emanage. Sounds stupid but have you checked what port your usb/serial adapter is using? You can do that in Windows device manager - just right click on the adapter in the menu, click on advanced options and make sure that it's set to one of the ports the emanage can use.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:34 PM

I think your problem is KARMA. Maybe you should give me my money back for the sub/sub box i bought from you that you never sent me. Bad things happen to scammers.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by zo0mmike,Jun 5 2007, 06:34 PM
I think your problem is KARMA. Maybe you should give me my money back for the sub/sub box i bought from you that you never sent me. Bad things happen to scammers.
Doh!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 PM

I had this problem a couple times at the track. Believe it or not, running a higher viscosity motor oil in an attempt to increase oil pressure cured my problem. Nothing crazy, 10W30 with Lucas synthetic oil stabalizer...

And give that other guy his money back!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Jun 5 2007, 06:59 PM
I had this problem a couple times at the track. Believe it or not, running a higher viscosity motor oil in an attempt to increase oil pressure cured my problem. Nothing crazy, 10W30 with Lucas synthetic oil stabalizer...

And give that other guy his money back!
Last I checked, our car should be running 10W30 stock
Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 PM

I was running 5W and it's possible the stabalizer may have helped with oil pressure. I'm not sure why, but now I can sit on the second cam for as long as I want without throwing a vtec failure code and having similar symptoms as described above.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the funny thing is I am running 20w50. Its as thick as you can get. My vtec seems to be working fine its something else. The reason we thought vtec wasn't kicking in on my other post was that the exhaust hada silencer that was to restrictive up in the higher rpms. I bought a code reader and haven't thrown any serious codes in the last 2 days. just the secondary air pressure thing and an o2 sensor circuit malfunction.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

So its working now or not? I'm confused

A restrictive exhaust is not going to cause a rev limiter at 6k rpms. If your vtec works on days 1,2,3 and doesn't on 4,5,6 and so on and so forth...that means its not working because it should work all the time.

I think you should try a thinner oil. That seems awfully thick for no real reason / gain except putting the incorrect oil in the engine
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the story. During my initial tune I was able to pull 221 hp on 7psi. The curve was fairly straight up until 6500 when the power flattened out. Because of this, my tuner thought that vtec wasn't engaging as did I. My installer and I did everything possible to fix a vtec problem. We checked the solenoid and it was getting 13+ volts so we knew that wasn't it. All along there was nothing wrong with vtec, my exhasut still had the silencer in it and it was to restrictive. So we ended up bypassing the emanage with the vtec control and leaving that on the stock ecu so it can't be adjusted, hence its still set at 6000rpms. I took it back to the tuner, with 20w50 motor oil in it because I wanted to make sure that my oil pressure wasn't the vtec issue. The day before I pulled the silencer out just to see what effect it would have. I took it to the tuner and we did some pulls and the curve was nice and flat up to 8500. We pulled 280ish on 7 psi. Played and played and then unplugged the solenoid and it didn't hit those marks. At that point after looking at both of the dyno plots we figured out that vtec was working all along and it was choking at 6500 and above from the exhaust.

All of that has nothing to do with my issues now though. That is just the background. I haven't thrown a significant code in 2 days. I wiggled some wires and cleaned some things and now I am just waiting until I can go out and drive it for awhile and try and get it to do the same thing and then pull the codes and figure it out from there. It only seems to happen when it gets hot and afte I pull a few hard vtec pulls then it goes into some kind of gas or spark cut mode at 6000rpms. The next time it happens I will pull over and pull the code as the code reader is in my car.

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to give everyone a background.

Quick Reply: Can't get past 6000 rpm's?