S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

CA SMOG with Vortech Supercharger

Old 05-06-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First it was only Comptech, but now Vortech is CARB leagl as well.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visual is a bitch... and some places will not sniff you unless you are stock.

If they agree and start running CARB EO#'s you better have what you say you have on the car.

Example. Even though AEM has CARB EO#'s they only apply to the model years on the EO. So if the CARB EO on the CAI is for model years 00 thru 02. Then if you are driving an 03 you will not pass smog. Your car MY must match the CARB EO Model years. Same goes for the FI kits from Comptech or Vortech.

For those who buy used kits ie AP1 CTSC and install on an AP2, you will not pass smog due to the EO# not matching the model year S2000. Visa vera, on the AP2 kit installed on an AP1.

Just something to keep in mind.

Tim
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow there are too many hands in to many peoples pockets in California.
I guess they need to keep it clean but sometimes it seems like they are going to far.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Jeez, this whole situation sucks man.

In the meantime, I'd try a different smog station for now. Also, do you happen to have the parts list for your Vortech? (The packing list with part numbers) You might wanna bring that along with you, so you could point out exactly what came with your kit. It may or may not work, but it's worth a try.

If I were you, I'd seriously contact Vortech about this though. After spending the kind of money we have on their (or Comptech's) supercharger kits, you'd think we wouldn't have to worry about these kinds of nuisances.

Make sure to post your findings here, as I'm sure it'll come in handy for those of us with Vortech or Comptech blowers.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM

UPDATE!

I've been to 4 different SMOG shops in Sacramento, CA, and no one will smog my car. All of them said that it doesn't matter what EO# is on it and how legal the kit is, if they are not comfortable, they will not smog it. They all recommend going to the referee.

I got one shop to do a pre-test on the car. It passed with no problems. But of course they wouldn't do a full test because they were to scared.

I have an appointment with the referee on Wednesday. We'll see how that goes....
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=futomame,May 7 2007, 10:25 AM] UPDATE!

I've been to 4 different SMOG shops in Sacramento, CA, and no one will smog my car.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Got ref'd. Seems to be just another SMOG shop but at an education center.
Still had to pay $30 for smog fee and $8.25 for cert. Cheaper than most smog shops. Might as well go there from now on.

No sticker either. The tech said there is NO reason for a special sticker because the CARB exempt number on the Supercharger is all you need. This kit is fully California legal. Any smog shop can smog this car. But they don't have to if they don't feel comfortable.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by futomame,May 9 2007, 04:17 PM
Still had to pay $30 for smog fee and $8.25 for cert. Cheaper than most smog shops. Might as well go there from now on.

No sticker either. The tech said there is NO reason for a special sticker because the CARB exempt number on the Supercharger is all you need. This kit is fully California legal. Any smog shop can smog this car. But they don't have to if they don't feel comfortable.
This is exactly what i wanted to hear

Was thinking of getting a comptech blower but thought i was SOL, now my fi dream can be completed.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by futomame,May 9 2007, 04:17 PM

Congrats! Yeah, I was always under the impression that the CARB EO number stamped on the blower was all you needed...I'm glad my assumption was correct.

Anyways, I'm glad the ref clarified the issue with the Vortech. It just seemed a little screwy that those other shops wouldn't smog your car, but I guess that just like anything else it would be to the shop's discretion as to whether or not they'd smog it.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM

I'm going through the same thing. Shops dont want to pass the visual! What the hell. Any advice? I'm trying to sell my car and need to smog it.

Quick Reply: CA SMOG with Vortech Supercharger