S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

a/c not cold

Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default a/c not cold

so finally got my turbo car running

the a/c is not cold at all, well i guess it's a little colder than the ambient air, but not much

we checked to see if there was still r134 in it, and there was, and pressure was at like 120 psi (this was after rompin on it for like an hour or 2), which my boy said was really really high. he told me to check it again when it was cold, to see if it blew cold air, and there's not really a difference in the temperature of the air blowing from after being driven hard for a long time vs. temp of air blowing right when car is turned on. he said something about a low pressure switch might have been blown?

i haven't relocated anything, is that why people relocate it? what do i need to do to get it cold again?

any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno, I don't have A/C

When you getting this thing tuned?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

120psi isn't "high" if it's measured on the discharge side. It is high if measured on the suction side.

There are too many variable to diagnose a AC system online. Find a good local shop with the needed recovery and charging equipment.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM

got it tuned yesterday, so much fun, got a damn boost leak today when I went to see how boost felt in 6th
Old 05-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

120 psi on the suction pipe? Or on the liquid line pipe? (suction pipe=by battery bigger pipe) (liquid line pipe=behind bumper and is smaller pipe)

If it's 120 psi on the suction side, most likely it standing pressure which means your compressor isn't even running. OR if it is running it might be overcharged by A LOT.
If it's 120 on the high side seems like it's low on charge or might be standing pressure. Which means it's not even running.
In anycase the absolute best way to charge your system is to have someone recovery your refrigerant that's in your car now and weigh in according to Honda how much is needed. You will not go wrong that way.

BTW I haven't relocated my AC and I'm boosted. So no this isn't why people relocate it.

Depending on temp outside and inside your car your pressures might be around, 30psi on your suction (lowside) and 175 liquid line (highside).
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn56,May 22 2010, 04:45 AM

Depending on temp outside and inside your car your pressures might be around, 30psi on your suction (lowside) and 175 liquid line (highside).
Sounds like if this is your low side that your compressor isn't kicked in. Look down and see if the clutch is spinning or just sitting there. It should be spinning on the compressor if it's en gauged.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 AM

check the heater cable. it might be out of position sending in hot water. but i guess the ac would be cold when the engine is cold...
or maybe you broke a wire going to the pressure switch or something? i think its on the receiver dryer which is behind your intercooler if you have a front mount
Old 05-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

You need gauges hooked up to the low and high pressure sides with the compressor running to see what the status of the charge is. It might simply be that the a/c compressor is not kicking on, and there are various reasons for that.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 PM

it's on the big pipe by the battery, the local that i had look at it took off the little light green cap thing that I guess you refill it at, and that's where the 120 psi was measured.

ok so i need to find and check the heater cable, check the operation of the a/c compressor/clutch
Old 05-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's on the low side (bigpipe) the compressor was..
A) not running at all.

B) if it was running, then the system is grossly overcharged.

My money is on A. When the system is not running at all that pressure will be standing pressure meaning it will equalize with the high side. Meaning of course you will read it high ie.. 120 psi.
Find out why the compressor is not kicking on. It could be as easy as a fuse.

Quick Reply: a/c not cold