S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

built motor longevity

Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man this thread is freaking me out. I got my motor built by Laskey Racing and I only plan on pushing 500WHP-550WHP on a conservative tune. But now I am scared because the motor may not even last that long, if I am reading correctly? I would think the motor would run better especially since I don't plan on pushing my motor to the limit. AAAahhhhh

James D.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 PM

I personally can't see a stock motor outlasting a properly built/tuned motor, like one from laskey (I've only heard good stuff about them so far) and tuned by a reputable guy like Mase. it doesn't make sense for stronger material, more highly engineered, tighter tolerance parts not outlasting a mass produced product. I love honda and they build great motors that take far more abuse than they ever intended, but it's not going to be stronger than a well built race motor.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the guys grenading built motors had crappy tunes, ran a race gas tune on bad gas, a catastrophic part failure like an oil line coming loose, fuel delivery failure, something like that. or the place that built and assembled the motor did a crappy job and a sleeve dropped or the rings weren't gapped right, something like that.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=candymanjl,Feb 1 2009, 02:31 PM] I personally can't see a stock motor outlasting a properly built/tuned motor, like one from laskey (I've only heard good stuff about them so far) and tuned by a reputable guy like Mase.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all that has been said in this thread, is it pretty safe to say no one here has had a rebuilt motor last longer than 100k miles, regardless of belief?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by CooperS2K,Jan 31 2009, 07:01 AM
sorry if this already asked, what you have done to your TC and what did it do as far as performance (when it was alive)? my friend is building a TC
it was full built short block with turbo toyotas kit and aem ems, made 454whp and 458tq and was featured in modified magazine.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Built motors will last if done properly and tuned properly.

My 2.5 13:1 motor, i put 15k HARD miles on it, and sold it to a buddy of mine, and he's had it for 2 years now. Was tuned with the AEM EMS and now on a K-Pro. That motor has been together for 2+1/2 years.

I have plenty of customers locally who have us tune the cars and still driving for years. I'll try to contact some customers from 3+ years back to get some mileage numbers.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i finally asked my tuner why "built" motors done last. he said basicly it is the piston that doesnt last. because of the piston being forged eventually through heat cycling the piston hardens and cracks. even at stock power levels its just a matter of time.
"but oem pistons are forged too!" you say? well he said oem pistons while they are forged, they are not a true forged piston. i dont quite get it but his exact words were they are semi-forged. closer to a cast piston more than anything. they will still shatter much easily than an aftermarket forged piston which will bend at a microscopic level first in an event of ping giving you a bigger saftey zone rather than just shattering suddenly.
i asked him how long a motor could last and he guessed as a daily driven car 4 to 5 years tops before the piston would start to rattle or some kind of noise would start to develop and a rebuild would be needed. he said that it was more of a heat cycling thing that a mileage thing and also how hard the engine is pushed and how fast you spin the engine all affect engine life which seems like common sence.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:15 AM

basically if it is a daily driven boosted car, but never sees boost and spend 90% of the time in vacc , it can last just like a stock car 200k plus
Old 03-14-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's also a valid comment to say that a block will only last well if it's supported sufficiently. Most high power setups will have development issues. Heat, cooling, leaks, all the things that go with high output.

If however, after testing problems are resolved, solutions are found & fixings are fortified, if you respect what's there it will last well.

Not only that, but built engines are always going to be checked & re-checked frequently for fluid levels, consistancy and so on. They'll be loved and lavished upon whereas OEM motors are more likely to be simply 'expected' to carry on with standard service intervals.

My thoughts at least
Old 08-28-2009, 10:39 AM

i just want to say that the OEM motor is very well capible if you dont want crazy horse power over about 500whp i wouldnt build it. i bought a block and some rings and didnt spend over a 1000 dollars on my rebuild and thats way cheaper than doing everything to build your block.

Quick Reply: built motor longevity