S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

built motor longevity

Old 01-31-2009, 05:46 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i have over 50k miles of boost on my 2.2L block. With at least 300ft/lbs the entire time. Now i'm making 365ft/lbs and the block is still staying together. I look at these motors and the power they produce on a bell's curve. The more power you put these motors through the less life they will have, however, when you really start pushing them, their life decreases at an exponential rate. If you want to see the longevity of a built motor, check out the guys like Krazik and Blaxtrax (sp.) that are running boost on a built motor on a track setting. It seems with 400whp the motors are lasting about a season with constant WOT for 40-50 mins a session.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kutsujula' date='Jan 29 2009, 01:51 PM
Just make sure someone that knows what there doing is doing the work. When a person who doesnt know what there doing builds it. This happens

wiseco piston y0 out my old tC lol
sorry if this already asked, what you have done to your TC and what did it do as far as performance (when it was alive)? my friend is building a TC
Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 PM

noway in hell can rebuilt engine last 100k or perform like oem in longevity. I don't care how good your e-math is or your tuner. I don't have an s2k, but my first built motor lasted around 10k, pushing around 650whp. My 2nd build is much better and only pushing 500whp on low boost and old tune. I'm hoping and praying that it'll last for 50k at least. It's got 8k and running strong. Rebuilt engine's takes on much heavier load and things are prone to malfunction... and yes, blown engines are usually the end result from other component failures. On a brighter note, there's actually a good chance of longevity with meticulous build and tuning (the combo, in which has a very slim chance of happening). I know a very well know tuner that beat the crap out of the car for 25k and disassembled the engine. There were incredibly minimal wear on the pistons and the rods were practically new. The compression on all cylinders were great as well. This is what I call a miracle and I'd say engines like these will last at least 70k without the constant abuse.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 PM

sorry, but whats the point for a built motor than. putting in sooo much money into it and building it, just for it to barely last long at all. I would rather take 3 factory engines and push them to the limit like kutsujula. when they blow replace them, much cheaper. no?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 PM

[quote name='03silver2000' date='Jan 31 2009, 08:47 PM'] sorry, but whats the point for a built motor than.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM

I would rather just pick up a few stock motors with low mileage and keep swapping them in as I blow them, just push them to the limit.
Jordan
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 03silver2000' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:05 AM
I would rather just pick up a few stock motors with low mileage and keep swapping them in as I blow them, just push them to the limit.
haha just like the differentials... just have a stockpile of them and replace them as they fail
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM

This is true!
From what I've read so far its just a better idea to have a few motors waiting to be swapped. One blows, swap another one in.

I spoke with some well know engine builders and the $$ for a high end engine build is about 4 used motors.

I just don't see a point in spending the amount equal the value of the car when I know it'll eventually fail.
My old c4 SC vette dynoed at 755 WHP. At ~39K miles the motor blew 2 rings and fried just about every exhaust valve. After that I swapped it twice more with different builders. Sure it was , but I dont wanto make the same mistake with my s2000.

Ill keep reading before i decide to go any further.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 03silver2000' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:47 PM
sorry, but whats the point for a built motor than. putting in sooo much money into it and building it, just for it to barely last long at all. I would rather take 3 factory engines and push them to the limit like kutsujula. when they blow replace them, much cheaper. no?
yeah but kutsujula is pushing the stock motor to the limit to see what it can do because he doesn't care too much if it blows since his built motor is on the way.

you've gotta compare apples to apples. some of you are saying that the built motor is worse than a stock motor because you ran triple the power of stock and it didn't last long. well duh! take a stock motor vs a built motor at the same power and a properly built motor would last longer. the problem is that a bad tune on a strong motor will still pown the motor. all that "bulletproof" crap that gets thrown around with built motors is just marketing. you run out of fuel at a high HP level and you're gonna melt/break stuff, it's that simple.

I think you guys need to have realistic expectations, if you want to run a tons of power, you're going to find weak points and break stuff. you've got to spend a whole lot of money to get a high horsepower car with a warranty, there's probably a good reason for that.

look at it this way, there's no form of a racing in the world where they'll run a stock motor unless the rules say they have to. pretty sure that's because their built motor will make more power and last longer than the stock motor.

a laskey racing built S2000 bottom end is $3,500, properly tuned you could run plenty of power for a long time and that's cheaper than just blowing up and replacing motors all the time. don't forget, most likely you've got a turbo downstream of that motor you're blowing up, 9 times out of 10 if you grenade the motor you'll kill that turbo too. that one blown motor and ruined turbo has now cost you more than building the motor in the first place. in the end build the motor and get it properly tuned or don't push your luck on the stock motor.

what's the saying, "power is money, how fast do you want to go?"
Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 AM

Well said Candymajl. I dont understand why guys think you are better off swapping out stock motors rather than building a good one from the start, it just doesnt make sense. Ask any professional builder or racer and he will say the same thing.

Quick Reply: built motor longevity