S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

built motor longevity

Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any rebuilt motors w/ more than 100k miles? Anyone?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexS2200' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:12 AM
Any rebuilt motors w/ more than 100k miles? Anyone?
oem ftw
Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sellout' date='Jan 29 2009, 06:22 PM
That's pretty much how most engines end up blown. Even on stock internals, it's very rare to see an engine blown because it was making too much power. It's usually a failed part or simply a tuning issue. It's just not possible to make a motor that will survive poor tuning or something like a failed FMU at full load.
I will agree with that, most fail from a bad tune, but the fact is a well built motor will withstand it for longer than a stock one. A good example is Subaru and their nice cast pistons. TONS of people have problems breaking them, not only from bad tuning but high cylinder pressure. Yes, I also understand ductility, plain and simple. I have plenty of experience in metal working, and also a background in engineering.

You also dont need to use super low silicon pistons for a good engine build. If you are going for extreme power holding then yes, but like you said you will get more wear and tear with them. Find a piston that offers a happy median between the two. Either way, I still dont get the concern about building a motor to last 100k miles anyway, its not very feasible. If I build one of my motors to hold 500hp, I certainly dont care if it lasts 30k miles before I need to rebuild it. I have peace of mind knowing my built motor will last with that much power better than a stock bottom end will.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Hmm very interesting topic you all got going here. Let me ask this: How is the OEM piston holding up to boost? is there anyone here who has had an OEM piston fail at power levels near 500 or LESS?

The best builders in the country build their engines to withstand 1000hp or so. But what If I requested an engine build with low CR pistons that maintained the OEM design in silicon content? Maybe I don't want to make 1000hp, but 500hp. Like it was stated earlier in this thread, 03/04 cobras are forged from the factory, and most of them are boosted heavily without problems. So what's the deal with the s2k? Will an f2* fitted with low CR, FRM friendly pistons suffice for most applications under 500hp?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sellout' date='Jan 29 2009, 06:22 PM
That's pretty much how most engines end up blown. Even on stock internals, it's very rare to see an engine blown because it was making too much power. It's usually a failed part or simply a tuning issue. It's just not possible to make a motor that will survive poor tuning or something like a failed FMU at full load.
I never though of this issue !!
Ive heard of many guys spending tons of $$$ to then find out their tuning is hella off,and retune before anything happens!

Ive been doing some research on building a motor for Sc and this very interesting info !
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by fatjoe10' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:25 AM
Hmm very interesting topic you all got going here. Let me ask this: How is the OEM piston holding up to boost? is there anyone here who has had an OEM piston fail at power levels near 500 or LESS?

The best builders in the country build their engines to withstand 1000hp or so. But what If I requested an engine build with low CR pistons that maintained the OEM design in silicon content? Maybe I don't want to make 1000hp, but 500hp. Like it was stated earlier in this thread, 03/04 cobras are forged from the factory, and most of them are boosted heavily without problems. So what's the deal with the s2k? Will an f2* fitted with low CR, FRM friendly pistons suffice for most applications under 500hp?
Good question !!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM

seems like the stock ones are holding together around 500hp. My engine has 119k on it and is bone stock aside from a headgasket. My car makes 525whp and has been at that power level for 20k. I dont see any reason why it would blow up unless a part failed like the oil pump or something. Save your money for a good tuner.

Edit: I drive it hard too, just not stupid.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ScorpionT' date='Jan 30 2009, 08:00 AM
You also dont need to use super low silicon pistons for a good engine build. If you are going for extreme power holding then yes, but like you said you will get more wear and tear with them. Find a piston that offers a happy median between the two. Either way, I still dont get the concern about building a motor to last 100k miles anyway, its not very feasible. If I build one of my motors to hold 500hp, I certainly dont care if it lasts 30k miles before I need to rebuild it. I have peace of mind knowing my built motor will last with that much power better than a stock bottom end will.
Well said. I agree. I'm just playing devil's advocate here as well as trying to show a little bit of why people think a built motor won't last very long. There's a lot of things that people tend to forget about...

seems like the stock ones are holding together around 500hp. My engine has 119k on it and is bone stock aside from a headgasket. My car makes 525whp and has been at that power level for 20k. I dont see any reason why it would blow up unless a part failed like the oil pump or something. Save your money for a good tuner.

Edit: I drive it hard too, just not stupid. cool.gif
Very nice. I'm with Rob on this. If you're not going nuts trying to build the fastest car on the planet, then save your money. The truth is that nobody really knows how much power almost ANY motor can handle because nobody blows them from too much power. I've seen ONE blown engine that failed because it was making too much power in the last 15 years. It was a small block chevy iirc, and bent connecting rods around the 2000hp mark. (not stock connecting rods, but I cant remember which rods were in it)

If Rob's car has been at the 500rwhp level since it hit 100k miles, I'd venture to guess that it would take quite a bit more to actually blow one up because it just made too much power. If course, we are talking about production engines here, built from stockpiles of mass produced parts. Failures will occur here and there due to bad parts or improper assembly. If this makes you nervous, go ahead and build it. Or wait till it blows and build one then. You might be surprised to find out how long a stock motor can last with 3 times the factory power output...
Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by camuman' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:11 PM
i personally think a correctly built, correctly tuned aftermarket internals motor can last just as long. hell, my buddy has a built bottomend in his accord and he has been daily driving it for over a year now, i think he has atleast 20k on the rebuild.

anyone else?
I couldn't agree more, but the problem here is that your going to be hard pressed to find someone with a fully built motor with 100K+ miles on it. Reason being, no one is going to spend that kind of money on stock stroke/CR motor and just leave it be.

I helped a friend build a B20Vtec with 12.0:1 CR two years ago and he's clocked over 60K miles on it. Only burns maybe 3/4 of a quart between oil changes compared to 1/2 quart after we first built it. This motor has been driven pretty hard too.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

brilliant thread

mr s2k has 95k on the clock so i'm looking to get a new laskey motor and get the mase engineering turbo kit on it later on this year, be interesting to see how well it fairs.

Quick Reply: built motor longevity