S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

built motor longevity

Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Zero' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm definitely subscribing to this topic, as I've contemplated getting my engine built by one of the reputable builders here (Laskey, InlinePro, etc)...but I've always been concerned about the reliability and longevity of a built motor. While I've seen good (and bad) stories pop up from time to time about built motors, I've never really seen a post stating (and substantiating) the longevity of their motor.

This topic will certainly be interesting to read.

There's no reason that a built motor wouldnt last as long as a production motor as long as it's actually designed with that in mind and not as an all out race motor. You've got to use parts that are harder (less ductile) than you would use in a race motor, so it won't handle quite the extremes that you can get out of a race motor, but I'm talking about serious extremes here, worst case scenario type stuff.

I would have no qualms whatsoever about running 9500rpm and 700whp in a motor with those weaker, less ductile parts. Wouldn't have any issues with driving it hard every day and wouldn't worry about whether or not it lasts 100k, because if you take care of it, it just will.

You just don't want to try 12000rpm or 1200whp without the strongest parts you can get, and the strongest parts you can get are the ones that result in motors not lasting long on the street.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how about it, anyone here actually have a rebuilt motor that has over a 100k miles on it? We all know stock s2ks can lasted over 200k miles (from thoses who don't Vtec much ) but no actual post from anyone with a rebuilt motor over 100k miles.

So far only Chris@NLM has 50k plus built motors and camuman's buddy with 20k miles on a H22 motor. I personly have had 2.0L B series motors, but they only lasted approx 50k miles before the rings went bad and ate a qt oil every week.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Ive seen plenty of built motors last 50k plus, some of that has to do with who is building it though.

"and the strongest parts you can get are the ones that result in motors not lasting long on the street." I completely disagree with this statement. Running 12k rpms is the reason for failure, not the parts used. Think of it this way, if you run a race at half your full potential, you might run 3 miles before you need to slow down. If you run as fast as you possibly can, you might make it 1/4 mile.

When you compare normal operating conditions of stock vs built motors you will see the reasons for failure. A stock motor is probably driven nicely, whereas the built motor is probably run to more extremes. 250hp/6k rpm daily vs 500hp/9k rpm. The extreme conditions increase chances of failure at exponential rates. If you see a built motor last only 25k miles, you can bet the owner is pushing the car much harder than his 50 year old neighbor with the same car, but totally stock.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 AM

Just make sure someone that knows what there doing is doing the work. When a person who doesnt know what there doing builds it. This happens

wiseco piston y0 out my old tC lol
Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kutsujula' date='Jan 29 2009, 01:51 PM
Just make sure someone that knows what there doing is doing the work. When a person who doesnt know what there doing builds it. This happens

wiseco piston y0 out my old tC lol
ROFL. sorry dude i had to laugh. i did something similiar to a je piston. i had a stupid fmu setup since i was to cheap to get an aem for that car. fmu failed at 7k rpm at near 100mph. motor popped! burned a hole thru two of the 4 pistons. FMU FTL
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM

^^^ so have all the nice parts/ internal... one day the computer fails ... motor will still pop is where i'm getting
Old 01-29-2009, 05:19 PM

I completely disagree with this statement.
Then you don't understand what ductility means, and it's just that simple. This is not an attack, it's just a fact that in order to get parts that are able to handle the extremes that I mentioned, they have to be more ductile, which makes them wear faster, whether you race it or not.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by asukadc' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:50 PM
^^^ so have all the nice parts/ internal... one day the computer fails ... motor will still pop is where i'm getting
That's pretty much how most engines end up blown. Even on stock internals, it's very rare to see an engine blown because it was making too much power. It's usually a failed part or simply a tuning issue. It's just not possible to make a motor that will survive poor tuning or something like a failed FMU at full load.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 PM

didn't read what others have put but it come down to your engine builder and tunner. or if anything on your car fails like oil pressure, ex leak, sensors, and ect
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chris@NLM' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:38 PM
Anyone who builds a motor with piston to wall clearance that is so big the piston can bounce back and forth in the cylinder shouldn't be building a motor. Sometimes people build race motors with bigger clearance but never extreme enough to be bouncing around. A piston with little silicone content will have a smaller expanding rate and wouldn't need as much clearance not more clearance. There are plenty of cars out there that come with forged internals from the factory including the s2000. Forged parts do not wear more faster then cast, thats just not true. We have built motors that have lasted way over 50k and are still going. There is no reason why a built motor with a moderate power level cant last 100k.

Good explanation. As long as it's not some 1200hp stroked drag monster that needs to be rebuilt every other run.

Quick Reply: built motor longevity