S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Breaking bolts on manifold/wastegate port

Old 09-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking bolts on manifold/wastegate port

okay, I'm wondering if there is a super strong, super high temperature rating bolt that I can use because this is the 3rd time that this bolt has broken! It is the bolt that mates up the wastegate to the manifold on a revhard manifold.

The first time I was just using regular bolts from home depot and these broke after a couple of months. I then replaced them (both of them broke off and I had to reverse drill them out) with high temp studs from my tuner. Since then, only one has broken and I replaced it with another stud from PartSource and that too has broken about a month and a half into its use.

I have replaced it again with the same one that I had laying around but am wondering why this thing keeps breaking. Is it the heat? Is it the vibrations? When I look at it, it's completely flushed with with maninfold tapped hole and it must be drilled out, but why oh why does this POS keep breaking off! It's not hard to do, but just tedious and I know at some point, it will break and I won't havev my drill to to help me!!

Does someone make a really high heat bolt or is something else the cause of my bolt sheering itself from the manifold?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rev-hard manifold. LOL I've broken 3 of their manifolds and plenty of hardware. God they're horrible and a bunch of liars as well.

I found a supply store that offered a better grade, that helped. Home Depot hardware WILL FAIL.

Use anti-seize (the grey stuff with powdered aluminum) for install, that helps.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the stainless allen head bolts from ACE hardware, the ones that cost $2 per bolt. They also have cheaper ones, but they suck. Also dont over tighten.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 AM

go to a local bolt supplier and ask for the highest grade bolt they have in that size. i'm lucky and have "the metric store" in the next town over, they have much much better hardware than the cheap home depot stuff and its the same price.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM

home depot sucks for stuff like this
Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by m R g S r,Sep 3 2010, 09:38 AM
go to a local bolt supplier and ask for the highest grade bolt they have in that size. i'm lucky and have "the metric store" in the next town over, they have much much better hardware than the cheap home depot stuff and its the same price.
Yeah, I'm not too sure if we have any real good stores around my area, but I'll have to do some searching.

If I hit a brick wall and there's nothing there, would anyone be opposed to taking a payment from me and getting one of you kind souls to pick some up and ship it to me?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google Fastenal and see if there is one close to you. Also, most Napa stores have a good bolt selection.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skool u,Sep 3 2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I'm not too sure if we have any real good stores around my area, but I'll have to do some searching.

If I hit a brick wall and there's nothing there, would anyone be opposed to taking a payment from me and getting one of you kind souls to pick some up and ship it to me?
Try McMaster-Carr it a huge online site and has 5 bucks overnight shipping
Old 09-04-2010, 04:38 PM

+1 on McMaster. Otherwise I'd use a grade 8 or grade 10 bolt. Or you can also use the Stage 8 locking bolts. That would ensure that they also stay on since their locked and won't be loosened by vibration caused by the motor.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd go for the Stage 8s. They are a high grade bolt and as they lock you don't have to tighten then so much.

Quick Reply: Breaking bolts on manifold/wastegate port