S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

BOV on Vortech supercharger

Old 02-17-2003, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV on Vortech supercharger

I dont know too much about the vortech and i was wondering if it had a blow off valve on it and when does it reach its highest power. I was thinkin that the more rpm's the more power the vortech is gonna give you. If i order a smaller pulley and buy a blow off valve (turbo style) could the vortech reach its highest psi around vtec and let the blow off valve make this psi constant until redline ( release the extra pressure that the smaller pulley will make the vortech push).

I want the supercharger to get to 7-8 psi around 6k rpms and stay at 7-8 psi from then until redline.

please let me know if this would work

thanks
mike
Old 02-17-2003, 08:01 AM

This topic was discussed in the past but I think reliability was an issue using a wastegate to release the pressure early therefore having more linear boost...right guys?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BOV is either releasing boost or not....I don't belive it can just release a certain amount of boost.....
Old 02-17-2003, 09:15 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Then how do turbo's that can make 20 psi only make 8 psi and reach full boost at 3k rpms?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:46 AM

I was under the impression that the wastegate is used to control boost on turbo's, not the BOV.....
Old 02-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

So use a wastegate!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:30 AM

I dont think it is possibe to use a waste gate w/ the vortech kit... If you could it would require much custom work and since I am not familliar with wastegate's I couldn't tell you if it would work or not....
Old 02-17-2003, 11:21 AM

Boost pressure on a turbocharger is controlled by the waist gate which bypasses the exhaust gases which drive the turbine wheel, thereby reducing the rpm of the turbo, and limiting boost. When the turbo is providing max boost and you let off the throttle (throttle body closes), the pressure built up upstream of the compressor needs to be relieved. This is the purpose of the BOV. It is either open or closed. It does not modulate to regulate pressure.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:29 AM

If what fperra says is true then the wastegate would not work for a supercharger (I think someone would have done it by now if it did), because of the fact that it reduces the rpm of the turbine which is not gunna happen cuz the supercharger is run off engine rpm via pulley.

So to answer draggndroptop's question....no it is not possibe becuase a BOV either releases all boost or none, and a wastegate is not possible to hook up.......
Old 02-17-2003, 11:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a pic of a turbo wastegate. The right part is the exhaust side, the left part is the compressor side. Notice how when the compressor side has too much pressure, that rod goes to the exhaust side and pulls on a clapper that allows the exhaust gases to bypass the turbocharger altogether.

What you need for the desired effect is a pressure relief valve like what you'd find on a tank of propane where, when the pressure gets above a set limit, it is vented off. When the pressure drops back down to below that limit, the valve closes back up. I'm not so sure they make one for this automotive application.

Quick Reply: BOV on Vortech supercharger