S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Boost into the crankcase is bad

Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakub2000,Jun 10 2006, 12:56 AM
...I removed the secondary vacuum system since the AEM EMS does not support it...
The secondary air injection system is part of the exhaust system, not intake system, no? Pcv is part of the intake system.

do I need to put something on the front breather as well? I run it nacked open for over a year, just wanted to put a small filter on it.
Just put a filter there just in case, but flow should only be flow out only.

Boost should not come FRom the intake manifold through the PCV INTO the crank case, so I will install it in a way where it flows only FROM the engine, INTO the manifold, but blocks the flow the other way around, correct?
Yep.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 AM

Here is a pic of mine installed...

Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by gary_phd,Jun 11 2006, 08:16 AM
It's the pressure build up that you need to worry about, which could damage your engine. If you use the two Krankents, you don't have to worry about pressure build up.
It doesnt matter whether you ahve a krank vent on the front or not, that pressure will still exit out of the front or the back exits. What the front krank vent does is that it prevents fresh air from coming in to the crank case. y change the system when it works perfectly fine the way it is?

In short, if you dont want boost in your crank case, put the krank vent in the back(pcv area)....if you want to get the "vacuum" that everyone is raving about, get the krank vent installed on the front as well, just keep in mind that you would lose an important function of the system, being able to take in fresh air. Is this important? Well, car manufacturers have been using this method for 20+ yrs or so....

But i dont see anything wrong with letting the system run the way its been designed. the important thing is preventing boost from entering your krank case. And that sludge that those links were talking about was referring to sludge in the crankcase, not the manifold.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that pressure will still exit out of the front or the back exits
But according to the scan I put up, air also "enters" that front breather.

In short, if you dont want boost in your crank case, put the krank vent in the back(pcv area)....

if you want to get the "vacuum" that everyone is raving about, get the krank vent installed on the front as well,
The front breather is open to atmosphere. It shouldn't have any affect on the vacuum as seen at the PCV valve.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jun 12 2006, 09:11 AM
But according to the scan I put up, air also "enters" that front breather.

The front breather is open to atmosphere. It shouldn't have any affect on the vacuum as seen at the PCV valve.
Actually, depending on certain situations, the front breather acts as a source of fresh air, and during hard runs it becomes as a 2nd exit for blow by. I got the info from the FAQs page, I'm not saying its totally right as i am no car expert, but seems to make sense:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/PCV.htm

" If the blow-by volume exceeds the ability of the PCV valve to draw in the vapors, the excess blow-by flows back through the crankcase fresh air intake system to the air cleaner box, where it is pulled through the throttle body and into the cylinders." ---- this usually happens during full throttle runs..(Very Low Manifold Vacuum, High Crankcase Pressure) This mode corresponds to heavy load to full-load conditions.

about the front breather, by having a krank vent installed, it actually no longer becomes a breather, since it can no longer take any air in, just out. I'd recommend to just put the krank vent in the back, or block it off like in xvipers catch can set up. voila, no boost in the crank case.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:27 PM

Would this set up let the engine opperate correctly with out allowing boost into the crank case?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ex-eclipse,Jun 12 2006, 03:27 PM
Would this set up let the engine opperate correctly with out allowing boost into the crank case?
Will it work? Well, your engine will run, so Im guess it will work. But its doutful that you will catch any oil in the catch can. And you have defeated the purpose of the PCV system and you won't get any of the benefits of the KrankVent, which a lot of people on this thread are dismissing as poo poo. Their loss though.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 PM

There is no Krank Vent in the picture.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:53 PM

I realize that. But my reply still stands. Your engine will run, but your catch can won't catch anything, and you are poluting the atmosphere through the front valve cover breather.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 PM

Wow, I am realy confused now. I thought that the front breather pulled in fresh air while the back (pcv) vented out the blow-by. If oil vapor comes out the front vent, than how come it is never oily or dirty like the inside of the manifold is? fperra, I'm not saying you dont know what you are talking about, I am just trying to understand this so I can fix my car too.

Quick Reply: Boost into the crankcase is bad