S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Boost into the crankcase is bad

Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways,Jun 8 2006, 12:10 PM
Both flow away from the valve cover.
I know the krank vent connected to the pcv valve should flow from the valve cover to the intake manifold.. but the one in the front, isnt it suppose to go from intake to valve cover? and not away from the valve cover... So when there is vacuum, this would be the source of fresh air and all that "dirty air could be sucked out through the pcv then the manifold?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AllStock27,Jun 8 2006, 04:24 PM
I know the krank vent connected to the pcv valve should flow from the valve cover to the intake manifold.. but the one in the front, isnt it suppose to go from intake to valve cover? and not away from the valve cover... So when there is vacuum, this would be the source of fresh air and all that "dirty air could be sucked out through the pcv then the manifold?
There won't be vacuum if you hook it up the other way. Both need to be leaving the valve cover.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:07 PM

I think the stock setup provides vacuum even without a check valve or krank vents, Probably not as strong, but it still has vacuum.... by having it set up where both krank vents are going out of the valve cover, it would defeat one of the system's designs:

..."Besides totally eliminating crankcase emissions as a source of air pollution, the constant recirculation of air through the crankcase helps remove moisture which otherwise would cause sludge to form."

by having the krank vent on the front valve cover flow only outwardly, there would be no source of fresh air in the valve cover... Maybe i'm just not totally understanding what the krank vent is designed to do, but from what i hav gathered so far(and correct me if i'm wrong), its a 1 way valve, wont flow the other way?

I have just ordered the krank vent a few minutes ago =), so i do think its beneficial... but my primary concern is to prevent boost to come through through the valve cover, and let the "pcv" system do its thing the way honda wanted the system to work.. I would rather give up a strong vacuum over losing the function of that fresh air being circulated into the system as designed from the factory.. I'm assuming it is an important function that we need in the car.

Also, by having the front krankvent flow outwardly... why not just seal that hole, since no air would flow in anyways? Air probably wont flow out of it anyways since with this set up, you would always have a vacuum in the valve cover.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by AllStock27,Jun 8 2006, 07:07 PM
I think the stock setup provides vacuum even without a check valve or krank vents, Probably not as strong, but it still has vacuum....

Also, by having the front krankvent flow outwardly... why not just seal that hole, since no air would flow in anyways?
No, the stock setup does not provide a vacuum because the front vent is always flowing.

Under boosted conditions, blowby gasses in the crank flow out the front Krank Vent valve. Thats why you don't want to seal it,

The crank vent was patented as a system to creat a partial vaccum in the crank case. The added benefit is that boost is prevented from entering the crank case through the pcv valve.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I cleaned up this thread of off topic posts. Lets keep it technical.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:51 PM

I think by setting up the krank vent to flow outwardly on both krank vents, you are defeating one of the main functions of the whole pcv valve system in the s2000, or any car for that matter that uses a pcv... To provide contstant recirculation of air.. replacing the contaminated air inside the valve cover (unburned fuel, water, acids, etc)... granted i am no expert in how pcv valve systems work, i am going by what i have read so far online...lol From everything i've read, it seems its very important to have a source of fresh air while all that "dirty" air is being sucked through the back krank vent..

By having both krank vents to flow outwardly i would think this would inhibit the suction of these contaminants out of the valve cover.. I guess we agree to disagree on this one.. lol

I'd rather have a more efficient system that takes out all these contaminants out of the valv covr more effectively, than have it set up the opposite just for the sake of having "vacuum." Whether the honda stock setup has vacuum or not, i doubt a boosted application would lose any performance if you use the stock method.. I think the main thing here is to prevent boost from entering the valve cover, since that would lower a bit of hp's in the hood as stated by sideways.. I honestly dont think you would see a significant incrs in power by having more vacuum on the valve cover .. I think it would be worse for the car because with that setup(both kv's flowing outwardly and no fresh air coming in) it would inhibit the effectiveness of getting rid of all that "dirty air" from the valve cover since there is no fresh air coming in to replace that contaminated air that just exited.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Wrong. Since the crank vent creates a partial vacuum in the crank case, there is still flow from the crank to the vacuum source. And the vacuum source is the intake manifold. You are just not pulling fresh air through as in the stock system, but you are pulling all the bad stuff out.

If you don't want the vacuum in the crank case then just use a better PCV valve or use only one of the crank vent valves.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Standing Room Only,Jun 8 2006, 11:42 AM
Haven't been able to speak with "Billy" at Comptech, but at this point I'd agree that the stock PCV valve (if that is what Comptech is relying on) isn't up to the task. So - what kit? The "mini" vent kit?
Yes, it's the mini kit.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:23 PM

I notice that Sideways vent is very close to the manifold....does it really matter where on the line it is? Since his is so close I guess less line gets pressure under boost.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=evf2000,Jun 8 2006, 09:23 PM]I notice that Sideways vent is very close to the manifold....does it really matter where on the line it is?

Quick Reply: Boost into the crankcase is bad