S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Boost into the crankcase is bad

Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra,Jun 14 2006, 02:57 PM
That is correct. The only difference is the Krank Vent does it more efficiently. That's why you definitely want a catch can with the Krank Vent.
i guess really now it comes down to the question, how does the KV do it more efficiently.

1. If you just installed one KV on the PCV side. Is it more efficient because the valve inside is able to hold stronger to positive pressure?

2. If you installed both, is it because the "fresh air side" KV is shut at vacuum and this creates more negative pressure which forces more blow-by out of the crankcase through the KV on the PCV side.

Maybe i'm answering my own question, maybe im not...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, you answered your own question.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by ex-eclipse,Jun 13 2006, 05:24 PM
AllStock27, how does xviper's catch can set up work? You keep on talking about it but yet there is no info!
Why are you asking me? why dont u just ask xviper direcdtly? hehe jp but yea, if memory serves me right, this is his set up:

pcv --> oil catch can w/ breather

the oil catch can is not connected to the air manifold, so excess crank case pressure exits the breather on his catch can. the tubing he has on the air manifold is sealed and not connected to the catch can so boost doesnt reach the valve cover.

and one posted whether this fresh air is important or not, this is what i read from 2 separate websites, i guess this is where everyone is split on.:

"PCV is an acronym for positive crankcase ventilation. A PCV valve is only half of a two-part system. At one end of the system is a breather, which allows fresh air into the crankcase"

"Besides totally eliminating crankcase emissions as a source of air pollution, the constant recirculation of air through the crankcase helps remove moisture which otherwise would cause sludge to form. Thus the PCV valve extends the life of the oil and engine."

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...0050101pv.html

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/gener.../bldef_621.htm

and yes i definitely recommend to have an oil catch can in between the crank case and pcv, so when the engine does suck in that air from the crank case, u dont hav all that gunk in your combustion..(which i heard somewhere "could" lower the overall effective octane of car to a certain degree)
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by AllStock27,Jun 15 2006, 08:43 AM
"Besides totally eliminating crankcase emissions as a source of air pollution, the constant recirculation of air through the crankcase helps remove moisture which otherwise would cause sludge to form. Thus the PCV valve extends the life of the oil and engine."

so I guess now it comes down to whether you want to have longer oil life or not have + pressure in the crank case.

And i guess if sludge starts forming inside the crank case, this could be bad, you start plugging up oil galleys and return holes

hey fperra

You said you've used the KV for a while. Have you noticed any sludge formation?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Venomous S,Jun 15 2006, 05:39 AM

so I guess now it comes down to whether you want to have longer oil life or not have + pressure in the crank case.
You can have both. by putting the KV in the pcv tubing only, you are both preventing boost from entering the system, and at the same time you still have the stock air circulation system (so you could still draw in this fresh air). putting the 2nd KV in the front would prevent the latter. THis is where every1 is split on (the KV in hte breather).

by the way, the post earlier w/ the hondatech.com link was VERY imformative.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Member (Premium)

gotcha, thanks

Edit-actually that honda tech link requires registration. Too lazy to do that now.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=Venomous S,Jun 15 2006, 07:39 AM] hey fperra

You said you've used the KV for a while.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by fperra,Jun 15 2006, 10:18 AM
The fresh air that comes into the front breather on a stock PCV system never gets to the crank case. The flow the fresh air takes is the shortest path, which is from the front breather to the PCV valve.
Bingo.
This makes absolute sense.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AllStock27,Jun 15 2006, 05:43 AM
Why are you asking me? why dont u just ask xviper direcdtly? hehe jp but yea, if memory serves me right, this is his set up:

pcv --> oil catch can w/ breather
I thought that was kinda weird, too, but I didn't want to get involved.

I'm using a Moroso vented catch can. I'm retaining the stock PCV valve (very weak either dirtection) and have it running directly to the c. can. The other end of the PCV line (into the intake) is plugged. The front breather has a hose from it going into the same catch can via "T". Amazingly, the baffles inside the can does a fairly good job of catching the oil, although I don't get as much as some of you have shown. This may be due to my engine not consuming much oil even before I did this mod.
I didn't feel that it was necessary to utilize manifold vacuum to draw out the oil vapours and I considered that when the crankcase was in a positive pressure situation, with 2 exits from the valve cover, this would be also well taken care of. It would seem, from experience of the past couple of years with this set up, the blowby oil vapours are caught and the positive c.case pressures are releaved and NO boost pressure is getting into places it ought not be going.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Sorry about your thread sideways. I had been waiting for a while to get sponsorship and was suppose to have gotten it a while ago but Cthree was lost in the woods of canada...lol

I will get your thread back if it is still useful and add it to here

Now to use the new green me:

I have the krank vent mini turbo kit units in stock and ready to go. PM me or goto: http://www.automotivespeed.com to order them.

Quick Reply: Boost into the crankcase is bad